DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Discover Spain - Castles and Forts of Spain

DiscoverSpain

Reactions
Site
discoverspainvideo.wordpress.com
As King Alfonso X the Wise said: "Spain is safe and full of castles". The continuous battles that took place during the more than seven centuries of the Reconquista (the period in the history of the Iberian Peninsula of approximately 780 years between the Umayyad conquest of Hispania in 711 and the fall of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada to the expanding Christian kingdoms in 1492) are the reason why numerous castles and fortresses were built on the Iberian Peninsula.

In total there are an estimated 20,000 castles in Spain, although not all of them have been well preserved, there are still enough to enjoy these fortifications, a true symbol of the Middle Ages. The Asociación Española de Amigos de los Castillos (Spanish Association of Friends of Castles) has inventoried some 10,300 of them.

The first constructions that have been considered castles appeared in the 9th century in the High Middle Ages and their main use was as a defensive encirclement.

Unlike other fortresses that can be seen in the rest of Europe, castles in Spain were not palaces, but had defensive and military functions. Their style will depend on the period. The great majority date from the Middle Ages, others are Renaissance.

Castles were usually built with similar characteristics. They were usually located on a high place, from where to control the territory and to avoid enemy attacks. They had a moat and an outer fortified barrier. In addition, their walls were very wide and high, topped by battlements and machicolations. The gates, their weakest part, were protected by different systems and, in order to have water available during sieges, cisterns were built to collect rainwater. Finally, inside the castle stood the keep, the building where the lord resided.

For a building to be considered a "castle" it normally had to have:

A walled enclosure adapted to the terrain.
A habitable tower
A parade ground

This applies to Christian castles; in Muslim castles the keep is dispensed with and in the case of citadels they become veritable citadels with a multitude of interconnected towers and outbuildings.

As King Alfonso X the Wise said: "Spain is safe and full of castles". The continuous battles that took place during the more than seven centuries of the Reconquista (the period in the history of the Iberian Peninsula of approximately 780 years between the Umayyad conquest of Hispania in 711 and the fall of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada to the expanding Christian kingdoms in 1492) are the reason why numerous castles and fortresses were built on the Iberian Peninsula.

In total there are an estimated 20,000 castles in Spain, although not all of them have been well preserved, there are still enough to enjoy these fortifications, a true symbol of the Middle Ages. The Asociación Española de Amigos de los Castillos (Spanish Association of Friends of Castles) has inventoried some 10,300 of them.

The first constructions that have been considered castles appeared in the 9th century in the High Middle Ages and their main use was as a defensive encirclement.

Unlike other fortresses that can be seen in the rest of Europe, castles in Spain were not palaces, but had defensive and military functions. Their style will depend on the period. The great majority date from the Middle Ages, others are Renaissance.

Castles were usually built with similar characteristics. They were usually located on a high place, from where to control the territory and to avoid enemy attacks. They had a moat and an outer fortified barrier. In addition, their walls were very wide and high, topped by battlements and machicolations. The gates, their weakest part, were protected by different systems and, in order to have water available during sieges, cisterns were built to collect rainwater. Finally, inside the castle stood the keep, the building where the lord resided.

A habitable tower
A parade ground

This applies to Christian castles; in Muslim castles the keep is dispensed with and in the case of citadels they become veritable citadels with a multitude of interconnected towers and outbuildings.

Would have liked to say that I enjoyed the video but it was too fast to take in the castles. Also no idea where they were situated as it would be interesting to visit some of them. I think I did recognize Avila!?

Reactions: DiscoverSpain

A habitable tower
A parade ground

Beautiful photography, color grading, and flying, but the editing left me dizzy. The attempt to cut the clips to the music were disruptive, annoying, and frustrating. My brain couldn't process the images as they flashed by too fast to register in my eyes or brain. The editing was too clever by half. After watching this silliness for a minute or so I shut it off.

Dale
Miami

Very nice video. Thank you so much for sharing. Comments.... Love the description of Castles in text. The edits were great and music timing was excellent. I now want to see "the hour-long documentary" that this "trailer" would fit nicely with. Otherwise, the quick and short edits were distracting. But, that leaves me wanting to see an extended version of each Castle.

I want more!

Last edited:
Agree with the comments above (not that I’m a pro on the topic), but the second half REALLY short grabs were such that I couldn’t even tell what was flashing up. The picture quality and flying was great. I’ve read some entries suggesting between 3-4 seconds per scene, and if that’s the case, perhaps consider speeding up your orbits so we can see the entire surrounds. Just some constructive critiquing - keep up the flying and editing.

Would have liked to say that I enjoyed the video but it was too fast to take in the castles. Also no idea where they were situated as it would be interesting to visit some of them. I think I did recognize Avila!?

Yes, Avila appears in the video.

You are absolutely right, the video is very fast but I did it that way on purpose. I will be making videos of each of the castles that appear in the video. If you don't want to miss them, subscribe to the channel ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and comment on it!

Beautiful photography, color grading, and flying, but the editing left me dizzy. The attempt to cut the clips to the music were disruptive, annoying, and frustrating. My brain couldn't process the images as they flashed by too fast to register in my eyes or brain. The editing was too clever by half. After watching this silliness for a minute or so I shut it off.

Dale
Miami

I'm sorry you didn't like the editing of the video. I fully understand that it is not a montage for all tastes and that many people, like you, even find it annoying.

I will try to make calmer videos in the future, like the last one I published or any of the previous ones.

Thank you very much for watching the video (as far as you have endured ;-) ) and for your comments.

Very nice video. Thank you so much for sharing. Comments.... Love the description of Castles in text. The edits were great and music timing was excellent. I now want to see "the hour-long documentary" that this "trailer" would fit nicely with. Otherwise, the quick and short edits were distracting. But, that leaves me wanting to see an extended version of each Castle.

I want more!
I will post a video of most of the castles featured in the video. If you don't want to miss it, subscribe to the channel ;)

Thanks for watch and comment!

Agree with the comments above (not that I’m a pro on the topic), but the second half REALLY short grabs were such that I couldn’t even tell what was flashing up. The picture quality and flying was great. I’ve read some entries suggesting between 3-4 seconds per scene, and if that’s the case, perhaps consider speeding up your orbits so we can see the entire surrounds. Just some constructive critiquing - keep up the flying and editing.

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism of the video.Sometimes I make it a point to edit to the beat, with songs I shouldn't.

Thank you very much also for your encouragement to keep flying and making videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000