DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Aeroscope Scanner

I'm not sure where you're going with this... but I'll take the bait - to a point ;)

Taken from the Kismet Wireless site:

"Kismet is a wireless network detector, sniffer, and intrusion detection system."

That question is beyond the scope of a dji drone forum mate...

Okay, that is fair! I am no expert in Kismet but I get the gist. Let us look more closely at the analogy which I believe actually hurts not helps aeroscope.

GOOGLE drove around "sniffing" wireless networks and got into big trouble:

Between 2007 and 2010, Google equipped its Street View cars with Wi-Fi antennas and software that collected data transmitted by Wi-Fi networks in nearby homes and businesses, which included both network identifying information and so-called payload data transmitted over unencrypted Wi-Fi networks. The company acknowledged in May 2010 that it had inadvertently collected some personal data from unencrypted networks and apologized for it. The company also settled for $7 million with 37 U.S. states and the District of Columbia over its unauthorized collection of personal data transmitted over Wi-Fi networks. The story from WIRED is linked below.

An Intentional Mistake: The Anatomy of Google's Wi-Fi Sniffing Debacle

1542071113679.png

Joffe v Google Inc. 746 F.3d 920 (9th Cir. 2013)

FindLaw's United States Ninth Circuit case and opinions.

Despite Google's public apology, multiple people brought suit under federal and state law, including the Wiretap Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2511. Google argued that its data collection did not violate the Act because data transmitted over a Wi-Fi network is an " electronic communication" that is " readily accessible to the general public" and exempt under the Act. 18 U.S.C. § 2511(2)(g)(i). The district court rejected Google's argument. So did the Ninth Circuit of Appeals and the US Supreme Court declined review. Just because someone's front door is left open does not mean anyone can walk in and steal whatever is inside.

1542085510880.png

If you are not a criminal

you have nothing to worry about

Ok, you've lost me... I've no idea what you're talking about now...

Bottom line, if you want to read the details of DJI drones in the sky, don't buy aeroscope, just use kismet and a suitable wifi (chipset) card.

If you don't want to read the details of DJI drones in the sky, then, um... don't :)

Ok, you've lost me... I've no idea what you're talking about now...

Bottom line, if you want to read the details of DJI drones in the sky, don't buy aeroscope, just use kismet and a suitable wifi (chipset) card.

If you don't want to read the details of DJI drones in the sky, then, um... don't :)

What does the card cost and any special instrumentation or other equipment needed? What would be the effective range? Just depends on the antennae? If its cheap and easy then I want to build my own aeroscope!

No other people can't see it, but then again with Aeroscope not every Tom, **** and Harry is going to be able to buy one. So the ones that are able to get them, are doing so because they need to protect a specific location and have the authority to do that...

I dont know 2nc, these guys are starting to convince me that any Tom, ****, or Harry with a wi fi card and a Kismet program can get into the DJI drone surveillance business:

The main problem with aeroscope is it shows the weaknesses in the transmission protocol. Which basically means at some point it'll be reverse engineered and 3rd party devices will be available to anyone and not just authorised users.

The point probably really is that the downlink protocol for all DJI AC’s is already in the public Domain. Your telemetry can be sniffed out by anyone who is desirous if doing so with garden variety hardware. You don’t need an aeroscope unit.

Anyone running kismet with the right wifi card can read DJI AeroScope data.

Their protocol was cracked wide open a year ago.

You can also spoof the drone ID data too :rolleyes:

https://department13.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Anatomy-of-DJI-Drone-ID-Implementation1.pdf

Yay DJI...

Well for aeroscope to work it means there is no end to end encryption between the RC and the drone. If there was, Aeroscope wouldnt and couldn't work.

The very fact it DOES work and without user compliance as they state means that link isn't secure. Either its not encrypted at all or its encrypted with a static pre shared key (which means its trivial to acquire).

From DJI's Own White Paper:

Although UAS do not carry people, and so do not implicate free movement of people, identification information does indicate the location of the person operating the UAS, thus revealing the activities of persons and businesses. The interest in privacy is, unfortunately, arguably heightened compared to manned aircraft considering the occasional violent confrontations that UAS operators have faced over the last few years, including physical assault and gunfire. A system that enables belligerent individuals to look up the name and address of, and then knock on the door of, a local UAS operator, is not acceptable and will detrimentally impact UAS operators who are operating safely and doing nothing wrong. The personal information of the owner (or operator) should be accessible to law enforcement only, who can investigate complaints of unlawful or dangerous conduct. Privacy and personal safety interests compel an identification system that protects operator business interests and discloses personally identifiable information only to law enforcement agencies.

Or not.

Some DJI platforms are not fully supported for AeroScope identification. The device has a known issue identifying DJI Matrice 100 platforms, which inadvertently display as “unknown” platform types.

International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace Volume 5 | Issue 4 Article 2 2018
Evaluating Small UAS Near Midair Collision Risk Using AeroScope and ADS-B

Interesting. Aeroscope identifies DJI's hobby but not commercial drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+