DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji air 3 does not fly above 2 meters in the dark

Maqdeon

Reactions
Hello, I just bought air 3 and I use drones in closed and dark places for my work. I used air 3 about 9 months ago, at that time it was flying comfortably in the dark without limit, now it does not go above 2 meters, how can I remove the limit?

So, what is the solution here?

I usually take off with my mini 2 SE from my balcony at night, where the GPS signal is not good and light is very low.

I have been thinking about buying an Air 3, but if I can't take off under these conditions, I might have to change my mind...

So, what is the solution here?

I usually take off with my mini 2 SE from my balcony at night, where the GPS signal is not good and light is very low.

I have been thinking about buying an Air 3, but if I can't take off under these conditions, I might have to change my mind...
The drone will most likely start in ATTI mode which has no position holding so YOU will have to issue the commands to fight wind.
Once the drone moves far enough away from the building to see enough satellites with a good spread the drone will establish a home point whereever it is at that time and subsequently you should have unrestricted flight.

Potential problems,
1) steel in the balconey may upset the compass and lead to what is known as a "yaw error", google it. That can become a problem when the drone 'knows' where it is as corection made by the drone are based on flawed information.
2) The home point is established somewhere other than the balcony, distance and other features such as low battery RTH settings are based on that home point.
3) The drone may revert to ATTI mode when returning to the balcony.

It's risky enough to your wallet to fly a mini 2SE from a balcony let alone an Air 3.

The drone will most likely start in ATTI mode which has no position holding so YOU will have to issue the commands to fight wind.
Once the drone moves far enough away from the building to see enough satellites with a good spread the drone will establish a home point whereever it is at that time and subsequently you should have unrestricted flight.

Potential problems,
1) steel in the balconey may upset the compass and lead to what is known as a "yaw error", google it. That can become a problem when the drone 'knows' where it is as corection made by the drone are based on flawed information.
2) The home point is established somewhere other than the balcony, distance and other features such as low battery RTH settings are based on that home point.
3) The drone may revert to ATTI mode when returning to the balcony.

It's risky enough to your wallet to fly a mini 2SE from a balcony let alone an Air 3.

Thank you for the advice.

I'm well aware of all the issues you mentioned above and I'm used to deal with all them without any problem.

What I would like to know is if the Air 3 will behave the same way as the Mini 2 does or if the Air 3 won't even take off under these conditions.

What I would like to know is if the Air 3 will behave the same way as the Mini 2 does or if the Air 3 won't even take off under these conditions.
That I see nothing has suggested that the air 3 would be grounded.
Everything suggests it will fly, with the limitations mentioned in this thread until it gains sufficient GPS signal and then it will fly unrestricted.

That I see nothing has suggested that the air 3 would be grounded.
Everything suggests it will fly, with the limitations mentioned in this thread until it gains sufficient GPS signal and then it will fly unrestricted.

I hope so.

What I do is taking off in ATTI mode (which I'm used to because I've learned to fly with a drone without GPS, camera or any other assistance systems), go ahead 20 / 30 m and wait for the drone to get GPS signal and make sure to set the home point. Landing is in ATTI mode too. I never fly from the balcony when it is too windy though.

The advantage to fly from my balcony is that I am in a high ground so I have a very good signal and range.

Thank you for your input.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erintse