DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

dji fly app not saving low resolution photos in cache ?

kruzlifix

Reactions
I do like the new MA 2 a lot, but I cannot get the app to save low resolution photos and videos on the cache of neither my iphone 8 nor my Ipad pro first gen.
is it a problem of the new dji fly app itself?
does it work with other cellphones, tablets?
thanks for any help.

I do like the new MA 2 a lot, but I cannot get the app to save low resolution photos and videos on the cache of neither my iphone 8 nor my Ipad pro first gen.
is it a problem of the new dji fly app itself?
does it work with other cellphones, tablets?
thanks for any help.

Having the same problem with my Pixel 4XL.
In addition, the feature to download the files is grayed out and non functional. The cache files just do not transfer... Very frustrating.... !!

Hi Gentlemen! Under Camera settings, scroll down to see if “Cache When Recording” is selected. If so, you should be able to see your footage if you select Album in the lower left corner of the main DJI Fly screen.

FB0546C4-FAE6-4AC7-B545-28847177B75E.jpeg

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi Gentlemen! Under Camera settings, scroll down to see if “Cache When Recording” is selected. If so, you should be able to see your footage if you select Album in the lower left corner of the main DJI Fly screen.

View attachment 104007
That's the problem. The switch is selected as 'on' but the app shows nothing within the album and cannot connect to retrieve anything even when connected to the powered up bird. Something doesn't seem right....Screenshot_20200606_204531.jpg

Something doesn't seem right....View attachment 104009
I haven’t had issues with DJI Fly with my MA2 yet, but when I had similar Settings-related issues with Fly and my Mini, uninstalling and reinstalling the app resolved my issues. Just a suggestion.

View attachment 104007
That is option for caching when recording video, there is no option for caching photos.

Reactions: JAW and DanMan32
of course I enabled save hr fotos and cache low resolution video but on Iphone 8 or old ipad pro nothing works.

question: is it working for someone with iphone 8 or even any phone ? is it a dji fly software problem?? or is it just me? [emoji26]

In Photo mode try going into "Camera" settings and scroll down to "Auto Sync HD Photos" and make sure this setting is on. This should download photos in the background.

Reactions: pelagic_one
question: is it working for someone with iphone 8 or even any phone ? is it a dji fly software problem?? or is it just me?
I am flying my MM and MA2 with my iPhone 8 Plus, and able to save the low-resolution versions on my phone, with high-res footage captured on the SD card.

Is there a chance that your iPhone is nearly out of available internal memory? I’m asking because before I got rid of a lot of unused memory-intensive apps and associated data, I also was not able to see any low-res footage on my phone.

In Photo mode try going into "Camera" settings and scroll down to "Auto Sync HD Photos" and make sure this setting is on. This should download photos in the background.

@stevan
is correct in that there seems to be no option for caching photos. I just tried it by taking a photo, seeing the photo under “Aircraft” but not on DJI Fly.

008D9726-1A66-4E29-8D82-0FCC3B8F9A47.jpeg

@Pappy — I am unable to locate “Auto Sync HD Photos,” but I do see “Cache When Recording.” With my MA2 powered up and attached, I am looking while in Photo Mode, and scrolled down through Settings. Where might I locate that?

Last edited:

@stevan
is correct in that there seems to be no option for caching photos. I just tried it by taking a photo, seeing the photo under “Aircraft” but not on DJI Fly.

View attachment 104049

@Pappy — I am unable to locate “Auto Sync HD Photos,” but I do see “Cache When Recording.” With my MA2 powered up and attached, I am looking while in Photo Mode, and scrolled down through Settings. Where might I locate that?

I just finished testing the "Auto Sync HD Photos" toggle. When off no photos are transferred automatically to your "Album". When I turned it on ALL photos (jpg, no DNGs) on the SD card where transferred to the "Album" and any new photos taken while it is on are also transferred in the background automatically. All jpgs are 12 mp.
1591589565414.png

Test conducted with Samsung Galaxy A71, Android 10

Reactions: pelagic_one
Did somebody solve this bug ?
The solution of "Sync HD photos" is just a turn around.
It download full res photos, but in that case we want the small cached images and videos.
For example I d like to create quick stories directky from the app, because with computer it is a much long workflow...
so if Somebody knows something that does the trick, please let us know

I just finished testing the "Auto Sync HD Photos" toggle. When off no photos are transferred automatically to your "Album". When I turned it on ALL photos (jpg, no DNGs) on the SD card where transferred to the "Album" and any new photos taken while it is on are also transferred in the background automatically. All jpgs are 12 mp.
View attachment 104065

Test conducted with Samsung Galaxy A71, Android 10
I don't have this option with an IPhone 11 Pro. Flying a Mavic Air 2s.
With my Mavic Pro and DJI Go 4 I never had a problem. Those photos are useful to share on the fly (I know, I know).

Last edited:
Must be an iOS only bug as cached photos and videos is working on my Samsung A71 with Android 11 and Fly v1.4.2, MA2.

Must be an iOS only bug as cached photos and videos is working on my Samsung A71 with Android 11 and Fly v1.4.2, MA2.
I'm also on Android 11 and Fly 1.4.2, and auto-syncing low-res previews directly to the phone is only working for videos, but not for photos.

OK so I figured out a workaround that works for me until they will fix it on the app side.

• Oneplus Nord, Android 11
  • Fly App 1.4.2
  • DJI Air 2s

The images are actually cached on the phone during the flight, but the Fly App is not displaying them. To find them, you need to navigate to the folder DJI > dji.go.v5 > CACHE_IMAGE > ImageCaches

In there you have 2 different cached versions for each image, the bigger one is 960 x 640 px, which in my opinion is just enough to see if the picture came out the way I wanted. It's not good enough for Social Media, but will do it for me to check the composition and lighting. There's probably a way to create a link from the home screen directly to this folder, I haven't figured that out yet.

I reported the main issue to the DJI support, hope they will fix it on their side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31