DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 Stops / Crashes on Smart Controller

Has the fix you tried kept working?
I would be surprised if so.
Looking at your crash log, it looks like a crash from lack of RAM memory, not SD card memory.

I have recently had the same crashing with the same 'OutOfMemoryError' crash log as you.
My cache was almost empty and setting was already at 2Gb.
2 days ago, had 13 crashes in a row. Unusable.
Reading on here and Google and checking my logs, here's what I figure.
(I didn't have problems before -> ->)

I recently installed Litchi through Amazon.
It works great and was an easy install and have had no problems with that app.
1st I kill the DJI GO app, then launch Litchi. Works perfect.
Then I kill Litchi, and launch DJI GO - lots of problems.
Shut down the the controller and aircraft. Try later. No joy.

Looking further, I saw the Amazon Store app still running in the background.
(from when I download/installed Litchi from Amazon)
I'm thinking that app has allocated memory that the GO app needs.
I have killed that app, and it doesn't automatically restart.
So I'm hoping that will fix the problem.
I haven't had a chance to fly yet since checking all this.
Will report back in a day or two.
I no longer have the crashes of DJI Go4, but my explanation, above, may not be the reason. There was another thing I did. I had a lot of maps cached. I downloaded just about all the local are maps I thought I might ever need. I later deleted most of them around the same time as the "fix" I described above. Now, I can't really say that was the fix, or really what it was, but I have not had the problem since way back then, and sure don't miss it! I was not able to locate where the downloaded maps were stored, so I cannot say that they might have contributed to my "out of memory" crashes. I hope that helps. Let me know if it does.

Reactions: ff22 and CaptHook
Good news!
Flew 3 batteries with no app crashes.
Flew with GO app then Litchi app and back and forth with no problems.
Starting the Litchi app WILL cause the Amazon app store app to also launch in the background.
(if you installed Litchi through the Amazon app store)
So before relaunching the Go app, I force stop both Litchi AND the Amazon app.
This may have been the fix needed - making sure both Litchi and Amazon apps force stopped before using GO app again.
Or, it may have been SD card related, because ->
I also disabled cache as I never use video from the SC.
So it could have been this that fixed it.
At this point, I'm not going to try to fully isolate what the problem may have been - because it's working again!
But I figure it was the background app running using memory needed by the GO app as my cache was almost empty and set to 2GB when I had the problems and the card is fine as I sometimes save screen recordings to it.
So you could try both these things (make sure all other background apps are force stopped and/or cache is disabled)
if you are having GO app crashes with a crash log like:

===== Crash =====
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 4177932 byte allocation with 2864488 free bytes and 2MB until OOM

Last edited:
Reactions: W2EJ and ff22
Alrighty, so the full error info is below but all three files show the same kind of crash. A function is trying to work with a double precision numeric value but it’s null when the function tries to access it. The software doesn’t handle this unexpected condition and crashes. If you have some steps to consistently make this happen, it might be good to report it to DJI. This kind of thing usually happens because of a software bug that they should be able to fix. I hope that helps!

===== Crash =====
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'double java.lang.Double.doubleValue()' on a null object reference
at dji.midware.data.forbid.model.FlyfrbAreaJniElement.convertFromProtobuf(SourceFile:76)
at dji.fscore.jni.JNIFSLimitDataManager.parseLimitProtoDataWithEmptyCheck(SourceFile:106)
at dji.fscore.jni.JNIFSLimitDataManager.access$100(SourceFile:26)
at dji.fscore.jni.JNIFSLimitDataManager$1.onSuccess(SourceFile:66)
at dji.fscore.jni.JNIFSLimitDataManager$1.onSuccess(SourceFile:63)

=======Thread info======Crash name:java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'double java.lang.Double.doubleValue()' on a null object reference
Cause is:null
Thread name is:Thread-28196 35036
Thread count is:91
Fd count is:254

Android programmer, here.

This error likely has nothing to do with memory. It's poor coding practices.

Basically, null pointer means the piece of code that was called during whatever action was performed, went looking for another piece of code that doesn't exist (in that point in time).

So for example if you were to click a button on the screen that is supposed to hide text... But that text doesn't exist (maybe there was another button that showed the text to begin with)... null pointer crash. This is just an example.

Good programmer would wrap the code that instead of crashing app, button would just do nothing. Or even better, send a message to user that there was a problem hiding the text (in my example above). Mistakes do happen when you are writing thousands of lines of code. Chinese are not known for being good programmers. Big company like DJI should do better.

I have flown my Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller at least 50 times over the last few months with no problems. Yesterday, while flying, DJI Go 4 just stopped for no apparent reason. A message came on the screen saying that it stopped and there was a place to click to restart it. It did restart and it seemed normal but soon stopped again. While it was stopped, I still had full control and the RTH button on the SC still worked. When the app restarted, it looked like the altitude and distance were not correct but it otherwise worked as usual. The place I was flying at was a new one for me, and I noticed a large microwave tower nearby. I wondered if that could have something to do with the problem although I couldn't see why, so when I got home, I flew out of my backyard which I've done many times before, and had the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas? If I wanted to delete and reinstall DJI Go 4 on my SC, does anyone know how?

Since I posted the above, I did a factory reset on the Smart Controller and set it up again from scratch. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

I looked through the files on the SD card that's in the SC, and found some log files in a "Crash" folder. The times of these files seem to correspond to the times of these DJI Go 4 crashes or stops. They all say something about a memory allocation error, like it was looking for a certain amount of memory but couldn't get it. If there's someone out there that understands how to actually read these things (like maybe @sar104 or @Meta4 or @Bud Walker or @msinger) maybe you could help me figure it out. Thanx.
I have been experiencing the same problems with my DJI Smart Controller connected to a Mavic 2 Pro. It is very unnerving when that happens flying a dangerous location. Yes, I was able to get back to Home Plate but after losing one M2P with limited control, I get a little nervous when things like that happen.

I have been experiencing the same problems with my DJI Smart Controller connected to a Mavic 2 Pro. It is very unnerving when that happens flying a dangerous location. Yes, I was able to get back to Home Plate but after losing one M2P with limited control, I get a little nervous when things like that happen.

What were you doing when it happened? Mine crashed yesterday while flying. It happened right after I did the "Dronie" quick shot mode. Maybe best to avoid quick shots.

What were you doing when it happened? Mine crashed yesterday while flying. It happened right after I did the "Dronie" quick shot mode. Maybe best to avoid quick shots.
I will post a short video on this forum in "Video Showcase" showing what I was doing when the blackout occurred flying with my DJI Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Pro. It will take me a while to get the video post put together, (today). I will try to explain more details then. Stay tuned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme