DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic 2 Pro landed in freshwater and was submerged for about 5 min, won't power up HELP!!!

jaysmithtechtv

Reactions
The drone was in freshwater for about 5 mins. I removed the battery as soon as I recovered drone, dried it off completely, and stored in rice to help remove any moisture. Everything moves freely. I tested the battery that was submerged, with another drone and it worked fine. After 2 weeks, I tried powering up the drone and does not power up. I've done several repairs myself and wouldn't mind doing it myself, I'd just need to know what to replace. That's what I need help with. Any help will be helpful. Thanks

The drone was in freshwater for about 5 mins. I removed the battery as soon as I recovered drone, dried it off completely, and stored in rice to help remove any moisture. Everything moves freely. I tested the battery that was submerged, with another drone and it worked fine. After 2 weeks, I tried powering up the drone and does not power up. I've done several repairs myself and wouldn't mind doing it myself, I'd just need to know what to replace. That's what I need help with. Any help will be helpful. Thanks

Where to start...

First thing you should do is ditch the battery. There is no waterproof seal and the terminals and circuit board inside will corrode, which could cause the battery to fail at anytime.

The most important task was removing the battery immediately and remove as much moisture from the aircraft as possible. Rice will not have absorbed the moisture quick enough. The camera is unlikely to survive and the circuit boards, connectors and sensors are potentially damaged. Corrosion sets in very quickly but the effect often takes longer to appear.

Did you purchase the Care Refresh option?

If not I would send it to a DJI repair agent for a quote.

Realistically you're not going to be able to repair it yourself. If you don't intend on replacing the whole unit with another, new or good-used aircraft you're basically looking at professional repair. Water damage is terrible and I've had it happen to a number of electronics over the years. Sometimes it's fine and other times it's just game over. My Mavic 2 Pro took a very quick freshwater dip in a running stream and it came out completely unscathed (so far). A couple months back my stills camera took an equally quick dip in a stagnant mud puddle and it was "beyond economic repair". Water damage will never have the same result for any 2 cases.

I've never used these guys but they're sponsors/partners for this forum and they seem to get a lot of praise.

I think you'll need to figure out what is corroded and use isopropyl alcohol (99% pure) to dunk and scrub away the corrosion and contaminents.
Then let this dry a long time before trying to power it up.

Not sure how successful this will be given that it's been 2 weeks since the immersion.

Rice does magic !!

Rice is delicious. It does absolutely nothing to actually fix water damage. Perhaps you've had anecdotal success using rice to fix something, but I'd wager that it was complete coincidence. Water damage to electronics causes corrosion and potential short-circuit, which causes component fail. Salt water can cause near-immediate corrosion and almost certain component damage. It's not the water that actually causes the corrosion and damage; it's what in the water that causes the problems. Dissolved salts and minerals in the water are what cause the issues. That's why moving, freshwater is oftentimes easier to repair or salvage than stagnant water or saltwater.

Drying electronics out is an important step in attempting to repair the damage, but the rice (or desiccants, or other drying agents) does not actually fix anything. If there's an attempt to be made at repairing water damaged electronics the water first needs to be displaced. As others have mentioned things like high-concentration alcohol, or denatured alcohol, or perhaps even WD40 will work to remove the water. But, even with the water and corrosion gone there could already be un-repairable damage to the sensitive electronic components. A single capacitor, resistor, or diode could already be dead and it's game over. With something as complex as a GPS camera-drone there could be practically a million things that could contribute to any number of problems, either now or later.

Send it to somebody who fixes this stuff for a living.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143