DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 and the new UK rules

Mojoest

Reactions
Hi all,
I can see that this has been discussed in part in other threads and over recent months but I'm hoping there's a definite answer now that the new drone code is fully updated and in place.
As far as I can tell from the code I can (observing all other safety/privacy considerations) now fly my Mini2 over people and in recreational / residential areas based on what's written here: Where you can fly drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority
From what I can understand the M2 isn't a C0 drone, but is under 250g so with the code wording of, for example, You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g, or C0 or C1 class, in residential, recreational, commercial and industrial areas. It's ok as even though its 'Legacy' (is it?) rather than a marked C0, it's still under 250g and the use of 'or' means it not being C0 doesn't matter so much.

All that seems clear cut to me. I've got my operator ID and flyer ID (even though I don't need a flyer ID from what I can see, but there wasn't an option not to do the test), so in my mind I'm good to go.

BUT... This seems slightly different to the EASA wording What are the requirements under the subcategories of the ‘open’ category? | EASA which talks about the A1 category and the drone needing to be CE marked 0 (which I guess the M2 isn't?) or for sub 250g drones it only talks about home built drones, (the UK code doesn't seem to make note of home built being the time when just weight comes into it, only mentioning sub 250g)

Is the EASA 'irrelevant' as we leave the EU and have the drone code in place, can I for example now fly in my local park. Or does the EASA (or something else I'm missing) trump my interpretation of the code and mean I can't fly in those areas / over people and only if an 'M3' with a C0 mark came out would it be ok?

You need to register and take the test. For all intents and purposes the Mini2 is a legacy drone, but as it’s below 250g it is exempt from the new classification.
See below regarding what you can and can’t do.

1362208A-ED29-4431-9818-4E85B9B1ED6E.jpeg

Thanks very much for this.
So the Mini 2 is A1 for the next 2 years but unless it can somehow be retrospectively C0 marked (or who knows the regs change again by then), it'll move to A3 from the start of 2023? Flying in the open category | UK Civil Aviation Authority
I don’t think it will move into A3 because of its low weight - but who knows what changes might happen.

Edit to add - this guy thinks they;l stay where they are in A1

Which is correct as the guidance states; ‘After 1 January 2023 for drones below 250g you can continue to use A1 sub category. All other current (un-classified) drones must only be used in the A3 sub category.’

Source; http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2004_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 2.pdf

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman