• Mini 2

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Air 2s

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters

canonsvogel

Reactions
Hello,

I currently own a phantom 4 pro. I really like the videoquality, although I don't do much with the video's i make.
The main issue with this drone, is that it is just too big. I live in the Netherlands, so I use a bicycle quite often. transporting the Phantom with a bicycle is just not nice to do. Therefore I am looking for a more portable drone.

There are two options for me.
1. get the mini 2
2. get the air 2s.

Reasons to get the mini 2:
1. It's smaller (More portable).
2. You can fly on more places (EU regulation).
3. Cheaper.

Reasons to get the Air 2s:
1. Better camera (Larger sensor).
2. newer (Better range and newer software).
3. It's more powerfull.
4. Sensors.
5. Has active-track (Altough I dont use it actually, but still...)

I heard that the mini 2's camera is quite noisy. How bad is it? It's not a big problem to have a camera that is a tad worse than the phantom's, but I dont want to regret my choice when comparing the two afterwards.

Can someone help me with my choise?

Thanks,
Canonsvogel.

Reactions: Bradders71
Mini 2 camera is very capable - it is excellent for social media and even beyond. Mini 2 won’t perform well in low light, but if that’s not your use case then Mini 2 is perfect.
You can also carry the tiny mini 2 batteries anywhere - including your pocket.
Mini 2 can also be flown in more places in the US - some geofencing doesn’t apply to it.

2S is more of a prosumer drone. It also has more automation - i.e master shots, better over all flying performance, better video/stills mostly noticeable at night.
It also has obstacle avoidance sensors, which can prevent your drone from crashing into objects, and enable the drone to be flown in tight spots.

2S is also twice as much. if money isn’t an issue and portability isn’t at top of your priority list, and local regulations won’t prevent you from flying most of the time.

Hello,

I currently own a phantom 4 pro. I really like the videoquality, although I don't do much with the video's i make.
The main issue with this drone, is that it is just too big. I live in the Netherlands, so I use a bicycle quite often. transporting the Phantom with a bicycle is just not nice to do. Therefore I am looking for a more portable drone.

1. get the mini 2
2. get the air 2s.

3. Cheaper.

3. It's more powerfull.
4. Sensors.

I heard that the mini 2's camera is quite noisy. How bad is it? It's not a big problem to have a camera that is a tad worse than the phantom's, but I dont want to regret my choice when comparing the two afterwards.

Thanks,
Canonsvogel.
From reading your post it sounds like the Mini 2 would fit your needs perfectly

The Mini 2 camera is not noisy

Hello,

1. get the mini 2
2. get the air 2s.

3. Cheaper.

3. It's more powerfull.
4. Sensors.

Thanks,
Canonsvogel.
Mini 2 is best drone to get

I'm voting for the Air2s. The only drawback that I can see is that the body of the drone is about twice the weight of the Mini 2 and somewhat bigger. I would think that would be a minor inconvenience considering that the controllers are the same. Below see a side-by-side photo of a Mavic 2 pro [ not Mavic AIR 2]fly-more-combo bag on the left compared to the Mini 2 FMC bag on the right. The Mavic 2 is larger and twice as heavy as the Air2s but yet doesn't requires that much more packing space.

IMO not only the extra features of the Air2s would be appreciated but it will have way more stability in the air on windy days. Granted the Mini 2 vs the Mini 1 has more fly-away resistance, the overall stability doesn't compare with the larger drones. JMO.

1618682128822.png

I'm wavering between the two. Would be really about use cases in my opinion. However, I have my mini 2 and can say my pics and video quality is superb, even at night. You can see this on my Instagram account.

Raw is great so you can do a lot of you want on post processing.

What is also great is the size. Makes a bigger difference in not drawing attention, some of which is unwanted and, in my case, unwarranted. I use the RC with alientech so my signal is superb if it goes around trees, etc.

I think after some consideration that size does matter, quieter is better, so mini 2 rocks.

If you wait long enough technology will come to a more robust mini 3?

And...there's also the Mavic Air 2!!! Focus track, 4K 60FPS etc. etc. Cheaper then the 2S, and if you're not a professional
photographer, THE MAVIC AIR 2 ... is just right for you!

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for your help. It really helps me with this decision. I'm still not sure which one to take. therefore I found a way to try a mini 2 for a week or so. Than I can try it and compare the camera quality with the p4p's. I guess that the camera of the p4p is comparable with the air 2s'. If I like the mini, I might take it, but I guess that it will be the air 2s.

You can fly on more places (EU regulation).
This is probably the main selling point for the Mini 2. Your decision will depend on how long you expect to keep the drone. Anything more than 250g (like the Air 2) already has more restrictions but these will increase significantly from 1 Jan 23.

I started with a Mini 2 and have really enjoyed it. It was a good lower-cost way to get started and learn, and it has taken a beating during the process ;-). However, I felt limited by the camera (for video) right away. I'm an amateur videographer, though, so keep that in mind.

When the Air 2s came out I immediately purchased it at my local Best Buy and could see a huge difference in video quality after my very first flight. An awesome difference is that with the Air 2s I can shoot full 4k at 60fps, which is my hillbilly way to avoid having to use ND filters for most daylight shooting, because higher-than-1/2x shutter speeds don't look bad at 60fps. The Air 2s also supports better video shooting profiles, and I really missed that in the Mini 2 (though I keep hoping they can add "cine like" to it, since the Pocket 2 has it).

Yes, the Air 2s is a bit larger and heavier and the overall kit (chargers, batteries, etc) is less convenient, but I am astonished at how small it all packs into the "fly more" pack. A full Air 2s "fly more" kit, in the bag, is only about 1" larger in width and length (looking down at the top of the bag), than the Mini 2's "fly more" kit, and not so much heavier that I really notice it.

I'd say if video image quality is important and you can afford it, then get the Air 2s. If ultimate portability and regional flexibility is important, then the Mini 2 will probably satisfy in most conditions.

so, my air2s arrived and i've been taking it through shake down.
extremely capable drone. not that much larger than the mini2.
i can't speak too much to the video files, but the air2s photo files are excellent.
a notch above the mini2.
i'm still waiting to test the air2s in night/twilight/low light situation.
but, from initial impressions, main advantage of air2s seems to be stability in windy conditions.
with 20mph breeze, gusting to 30mph, while shooting photo panos, the mini2 would struggle and ask to come home.
the air2s is rock solid in those conditions.
that alone is a big advantage, especially for filming in the afternoon when conditions are usually windier than the morning.
having said that, i won't be giving up the mini2!

Hello,

1. get the mini 2
2. get the air 2s.

3. Cheaper.

3. It's more powerfull.
4. Sensors.

Thanks,
Canonsvogel.
Hi @canonsvogel, welcome to the forums :)

As at right now, its neck and neck with 10 votes each.

I guess the Air 2S does come with sensors and and a better camera. Ok, and a slight increase in range.

Here’s why I would personally choose the Mini 2. I’m a skinflint…lol…joke. No, seriously, it’s because you can fly it almost ANYWHERE (someone will correct me now). I’m not a photography person so I can’t give my opinion on the camera, but the Mini 2 does produce some great pics/footage. The Air 2 May have better range but tbh if we abide by the rules, and I’m sure we all do, we have to keep the drone in sight at all times so whether it claims to do 10 or 12KM is neither here or there. Yep it comes with sensors, that just make you complacent. Without the sensors, I believe, you become more aware of your surroundings and possibly a more skilled flyer.

that’s my opinion haha

Hello, thanks for your help. It really helps me with this decision. I'm still not sure which one to take. therefore I found a way to try a mini 2 for a week or so. Than I can try it and compare the camera quality with the p4p's. I guess that the camera of the p4p is comparable with the air 2s'. If I like the mini, I might take it, but I guess that it will be the air 2s.
Enjoy your time with the Mini 2 @canonsvogel

My decision is now between the mavic Air 2 and the air 2s. I didn't like the build quality of the mini.
Which one should I go with. The mavic air 2 is 300 euros cheaper. The 2s does have a better camera but I am not a professional photographer, so 300 euros sounds a lot for this upgrade. There are some more minor upgrades...
Does anyone know whether the mavic air 2 will still be in production, or is will it be end of life soon?

Thanks for your help

The mini with its small format makes it very convenient for carrying it around, you can charge the bateries on the go with a powerbank and the recording quality is amazing.

But when one starts venturing in the dorne world, one gives importance to shoot in low light e and transmition quality, i also love the way the the Air2s goes so fast up or down it really impressive.

The mini is great but you will love some of the added benefits of the AIR2S.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS