Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 pro, 30 FPS or 60 FPS

afkology

Reactions
Site
www.afkology.com
Which one is better?

I would like sixty because I like to slow the footage down, but is it worth the quality decrease?

Did anyone test the quality decrease?

I shoot 4K 60 for the same reason and I see no quality decrease with 60 fps. Be aware, though, that several of the automated flight features aren't available in 60 fps. Because insufficient RTFM, this caught me.

I only shoot in 60 fps. Not only the flexibility of slowing the footage down but the motion is much smoother and doesn't have the jerkyness that you sometimes see when panning in 30 FPS

60 fps also costs you one stop of exposure. Your lovely fast F1.8 lens now becomes nearly 2.8. I'll still use 60fps if I need ultimate smoothness and don't need any of the automated flight modes.

More frames per second means less seconds per frame.

In sunlight, this effect is invisible since the difference between 1/1000th and 1/2000th isn't apparent. In low light, the difference between 1/60th and 1/30th is obvious.

60 fps also costs you one stop of exposure. Your lovely fast F1.8 lens now becomes nearly 2.8. I
It makes no difference to the lens aperture.
It means that you can't shoot at a shutter speed of 1/30th.

Yah, you're right. The actual lens aperture doesn't and can't change. I was using the term to illustrate the point. Badly, I guess.

You still lose a stop of exposure shooting 60 fps over 30 fps.

You can still slow down 30 and 24 fps in premiere by using optical flow.
I get it though, i used to fly my mavic 2 pro in 60 fps for the same reason, just incase you want to slow something down that you didn't plan for.
Honestly i think you're just better off trying it at 60 on a random test flight and see if you're happy with the result.

This info doesn't necessarily add any value to this conversation, but....

I'm also on a gaming forum and it's interesting how 60fps is such a hot topic currently. 60 is such a dramatic leap forward (for most) in video game performance! For me it's almost impossible to go back to 30fps gaming.

The trade of there is higher fps = lower resolution. If one wanted to grab a single frame of a video game scene you would switch to resolution mode to capture a better picture.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but it's interesting to me. I understand it better in video game terms.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin