DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 pro - and new UK laws?

mreco99

Reactions
Hi
Sorry I know its been discussed somewhere im sure, but cant find it.
Just revisiting drones again, after giving up when the UK laws seemed like they were going to change, making drones have classes and older drones being legacy drones. Anyway
I was wanting to Get a drone to compliment my business. Maybe real estate, maybe private events,
Was looking at the DJI mini 3 pro, as I cant really justify a mavic 3. Plus the weight being under 250g seems to be easier to get into.

But after looking around on the net, it seems like they scrapped the class system for UK drones for now, and 'older' drones *(ie without a C class) of which it seems like all of them except one, will be classed as Legacy. And being legacy might not be able to be use after Jan 2026 for commercial use unless you get a A2 CofC theoretical test? (which looks like The CAA have announced that the A2 CofC will be valid for Legacy Aircraft until 01/01/2026)
It looks like A sub categories are quit limiting.?

And after Jan 2026 my drone might be useless to me? who knows, nobody yet?
I assumed the mini 3 pro would have been classed, but I see its not.

What a mess, still dont know what to do?

@mreco99 the only option,here in the UK right now is a sub 250g drone
it will give you the most freedom of places where you can fly ,and indeed what you are able to fly over
there is a complete overhaul of the open category going on right now ,so no one really knows what the outcome of that study will be at this time ,
if you require a drone right now, then IMO at this time the Mini 3 pro is probably the best option
but there are other brands around so the choice is yours

Thanks old man, I thinking second hand DJI air 2s with RC controller. but its heavier, so need to work out what that really means in terms of law and usage. ( I know the specs).
Thanks for any help

Reactions: old man mavic
How do the lawmakers have time to get anything meaningful done? They are so busy making us “safe” from these evil drones, one would think there was a death or injury every day! Is there?

It is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while the ship is sinking.

you can fly over people? you sure? ah yes ive just read you can, thanks
But the over 250g's drones (air2s) you cant? or have to jump through hoops to a licenced to do so?
I think after reading, id rather have a air2s, but its over 250g of course. and I want to be able to potentially fly over people. Not be 50m away, which when flying higher, seems a lot, and you might just fly over someone by mistake.

Last edited:
Believe me the Mini 3 Pro packs a punch for it's size. I would be very surprised if you came across a limitation that prevented you from getting the footage and quality you want

Thanks, Sure does pack a punch, I can already see limitations for my use (the internet is a great thing), hence looking around and trying to work this mess out.

Thanks, Sure does pack a punch, I can already see limitations for my use (the internet is a great thing), hence looking around and trying to work this mess out.
I'm curious what limitations you see.
I have both and honestly fly the M3P more because it's more fun TBH.
The Air2S has a superior camera in the sense of low light and noise but in everyday use you'd be hard pressed to see a meaningful difference.

How do the lawmakers have time to get anything meaningful done? They are so busy making us “safe” from these evil drones, one would think there was a death or injury every day! Is there?

It is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while the ship is sinking.
True and there about 2500 deaths from cars each year… but there are still cars on the road.

Believe me the Mini 3 Pro packs a punch for it's size. I would be very surprised if you came across a limitation that prevented you from getting the footage and quality you want
About the only thing it doesn’t have is a narrower lens option. To get a sunset for example it’s very wide. It’s absolutely brilliant otherwise 👏

About the only thing it doesn’t have is a narrower lens option. To get a sunset for example it’s very wide. It’s absolutely brilliant otherwise 👏
That's what ND 128 and above are for. Reading through, it seems you've already made up your mind in favour of Air2S. That's A2 sub-category straight off and even with the A2CofC, you're still breaking the regulations flying close to or over people. Old MM has it bang on the nose: for now - the only option for up-close & personal are the sub-250's.

Reactions: old man mavic
True and there about 2500 deaths from cars each year… but there are still cars on the road.
However, unlike a Mini Pro 3 or 4, you can't legally drive a car over people - not crowds and not even individuals! Therefore, by that logic, a drone is far more dangerous than a car.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne