DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Observations and Quirks

Chrislaf

Reactions
My DJI RC came included with my Mavic 3 Pro purchase, so I figured I would keep it as a backup to the RC Pro that I use to fly both my Mavic 3 Pro and Mini 3 Pro (purchased as drone only) in case something ever happens to the RC Pro. Also, a few times I have missed a flying opportunity because I had to wait for my RC Pro to charge back up so I thought I would bind the DJI RC to the Mini 3 Pro and use it to fly that drone and keep the RC Pro for the Mavic 3 especially because its winter here and most of the time it is overcast. I figured the 700nit screen wouldn't be too bad. Having the two controllers would lesson the chance of me missing an opportunity while having to wait for the RC Pro to charge.

Well, I have had an opportunity to have a few flights with the DJI RC and my Mini 3 Pro and have noticed a few things - some expected and some not.

•It's much lighter. I expected this but didn't expect how nicely it fit with the Mini 3's lightness as a package.
•The gimbal pitching was not as smooth. Didn't expect this. It's much smoother on the RC Pro.
•Not having access to the microSD card on the DJI RC controller. Didn't expect this but was a minor inconvenience.
•Screen brightness in bright sunlight. Wow! Did not expect how bad it was even with one of those plastic flip-up sun hoods that protect the screen and sticks. My RC Pro with NO screen hood in bright sunlight at 1000nits is way brighter and completely useable.
•For some reason image thumbnails aren't being saved in the 'Flight Data Centre' on the DJI RC (see below) even though numerous images were taken, whereas on the RC Pro I never have a problem. I'm wondering if this is due to the limited resources (RAM) on the DJI RC because both times this has happened I was screen recording.

Using the DJI RC has made me appreciate my RC Pro much more and I have re-bound the Mini 3 Pro back to the RC Pro. I will keep the DJI RC as a backup controller or for when I sell my Mini 3 Pro. Other than the extra function buttons and 5 way button, and the ability to install third party apps, I really did not realize how much of a huge difference there was between the 2 controllers.

Chris

Screenshot_20240121-154909.jpg

I know exactly what you mean. My Mavic 3 classic came with the DJI RC, I later bought the RC Pro and have never regretted it! As you can see in my signature, I have 3 aircraft, each with their own dedicated RC, and its my mini 3 (not the pro) that is bound to my DJI RC.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I know exactly what you mean. My Mavic 3 classic came with the DJI RC, I later bought the RC Pro and have never regretted it! As you can see in my signature, I have 3 aircraft, each with their own dedicated RC, and its my mini 3 (not the pro) that is bound to my DJI RC.
It's too bad you can't use your Mini 3 with the RC Pro. Although the RC is a great little controller, there is a huge difference between the it and the RC Pro.

Chris

Reactions: 3rdof5
It's too bad you can't use your Mini 3 with the RC Pro. Although the RC is a great little controller, there is a huge difference between the it and the RC Pro.

Chris
Its even more disappointing that my RC-PRO won't work with my mini 4 pro as well. I'm fully aware of how nice the RC-PRO is and it's the controller I use for my Mavic 3, which is the flagship of my fleet. I am disappointed with the basicness of the RC-N2, lack of buttons, etc for the mini 4 pro, but I can live with it. All functions are still available.
I am happy that my purchase of the Goggles2/MC2 combo (originally for my Mavic 3 Classic, which works great but is abit large for FPV flying) now also work with my mini 4 pro. I have options on what and how I want to fly :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Agree nice having my M3P andd MM3 on same controller worth the money. The only negative I have is it is not Occusync 4 capable. (by design LOL)

My DJI RC came included with my Mavic 3 Pro purchase, so I figured I would keep it as a backup to the RC Pro that I use to fly both my Mavic 3 Pro and Mini 3 Pro (purchased as drone only) in case something ever happens to the RC Pro. Also, a few times I have missed a flying opportunity because I had to wait for my RC Pro to charge back up so I thought I would bind the DJI RC to the Mini 3 Pro and use it to fly that drone and keep the RC Pro for the Mavic 3 especially because its winter here and most of the time it is overcast. I figured the 700nit screen wouldn't be too bad. Having the two controllers would lesson the chance of me missing an opportunity while having to wait for the RC Pro to charge.

Well, I have had an opportunity to have a few flights with the DJI RC and my Mini 3 Pro and have noticed a few things - some expected and some not.

•It's much lighter. I expected this but didn't expect how nicely it fit with the Mini 3's lightness as a package.
•The gimbal pitching was not as smooth. Didn't expect this. It's much smoother on the RC Pro.
•Not having access to the microSD card on the DJI RC controller. Didn't expect this but was a minor inconvenience.
•Screen brightness in bright sunlight. Wow! Did not expect how bad it was even with one of those plastic flip-up sun hoods that protect the screen and sticks. My RC Pro with NO screen hood in bright sunlight at 1000nits is way brighter and completely useable.
•For some reason image thumbnails aren't being saved in the 'Flight Data Centre' on the DJI RC (see below) even though numerous images were taken, whereas on the RC Pro I never have a problem. I'm wondering if this is due to the limited resources (RAM) on the DJI RC because both times this has happened I was screen recording.

Using the DJI RC has made me appreciate my RC Pro much more and I have re-bound the Mini 3 Pro back to the RC Pro. I will keep the DJI RC as a backup controller or for when I sell my Mini 3 Pro. Other than the extra function buttons and 5 way button, and the ability to install third party apps, I really did not realize how much of a huge difference there was between the 2 controllers.

Chris

View attachment 172065
I had more or less exact same experience. However, my m4p came with the RC2. A lot better than the RC and almost more convenient than the RC Pro, due to weight.. Not saying you should get the RC2 though, you don't need it as you have the RC Pro which is the best of the lot in my view.

Its even more disappointing that my RC-PRO won't work with my mini 4 pro as well.
The RC Pro has so much potential. I don't know why DJI can't make it compatible with it's newer drones that run OC4 or make the newer drones compatible with the RC Pro.

I love my RC Pro and when I bought it I expected it to be compatible with the next few releases of future drones, not just the Mavic 3 series, the Mini 3 Pro, and Air 2S. In the future if I ever update to an OC4 drone and there is a new RC Pro 2, I likely would not buy it if it continues to have limited compatibility.

Chris

Agree nice having my M3P andd MM3 on same controller worth the money. The only negative I have is it is not Occusync 4 capable. (by design LOL)
I don't mind that it's not OC4 capable as I have never had any signal quality problems and I don't do range flights, but I do wish the RC Pro was compatible with the newer OC4 drones like the Mini 4 Pro so that I could use it for that drone if I ever wanted to upgrade. For that reason, I won't be updating from my Mini 3 Pro for awhile.

I had more or less exact same experience. However, my m4p came with the RC2. A lot better than the RC and almost more convenient than the RC Pro, due to weight.. Not saying you should get the RC2 though, you don't need it as you have the RC Pro which is the best of the lot in my view.
Neither my Mavic 3 Pro or my Mini 3 Pro would work with the DJI RC2 so I could not use it. I know the DJI RC2 has more system memory than the RC so that should improve some of the problems with the RC but what about the screen brightness? Isn't it still 700nits? For me, that was a deal breaker, I was shocked at the difference between the 700nits of the DJI RC and the 1000nits of the RC Pro in bright sunlight. I didn't realize how much difference 300nits made. In addition the RC Pro screen automatically adjusts to the amount of light whereas the RC screen does not and this fact alone also makes a huge difference. That is why it boggles my mind why DJI does not make the RC Pro more compatible with more of their newer drones through some kind of firmware update to either the controller or the drone as it is such an awesome controller.

If DJI thinks that by not making the RC Pro compatible with newer drones, that I will want to buy a new RC Pro2 with OC4 if they eventually release one, they are mistaken because having the RC Pro makes me want to hang onto the drones I currently use with it and not upgrade.

Chris

Neither my Mavic 3 Pro or my Mini 3 Pro would work with the DJI RC2 so I could not use it. I know the DJI RC2 has more system memory than the RC so that should improve some of the problems with the RC but what about the screen brightness? Isn't it still 700nits? For me, that was a deal breaker, I was shocked at the difference between the 700nits of the DJI RC and the 1000nits of the RC Pro in bright sunlight. I didn't realize how much difference 300nits made. In addition the RC Pro screen automatically adjusts to the amount of light whereas the RC screen does not and this fact alone also makes a huge difference. That is why it boggles my mind why DJI does not make the RC Pro more compatible with more of their newer drones through some kind of firmware update to either the controller or the drone as it is such an awesome controller.

If DJI thinks that by not making the RC Pro compatible with newer drones, that I will want to buy a new RC Pro2 with OC4 if they eventually release one, they are mistaken because having the RC Pro makes me want to hang onto the drones I currently use with it and not upgrade.

Chris
Agreed. And now with the 400 feet limit on the m4p I am done with their mini-drones. I live in a country full of hills and mountains, so now they killed it properly with the new regulations.

Agreed. And now with the 400 feet limit on the m4p I am done with their mini-drones. I live in a country full of hills and mountains, so now they killed it properly with the new regulations.
Don't have a M4P, only a Mini 3 Pro so not sure if those restrictions have been applied to M4P drones sold here in Canada but where I live it wouldn't make much difference as there are no mountains - I would have to head out to Western Canada or the East coast for that.

Chris

Don't have a M4P, only a Mini 3 Pro so not sure if those restrictions have been applied to M4P drones sold here in Canada but where I live it wouldn't make much difference as there are no mountains - I would have to head out to Western Canada or the East coast for that.

Chris
I sold my RC but still have a 'not-updated' mini3p which connects to my RC Pro. The RC2 is a tad brighter if I remember correctly. And no lag, and better range. Just better, but only usable with the wing-clipped m4p in my setup. Luckily we have Avata and the larger drones..:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne