DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller Crashing

Greg Webb

Retired Law Enforcement / Part 107 Cert.
Reactions
For the last few flights my Smart Controller has stopped working during a flight. Luckily I was able to re-boot it and connect before losing my Air 2S. It sometimes will say "google installer not responding". I have done a factory re-set several times and tried to re-install the firmware via DJI Assist for Mavic. First off it tells me I have the last version (V01.01.0064) But I think there's newer ones available but I'm not seeing them. When I try to "Refresh" the current firmware it gets to 99% then fails. Remote still doing the same thing when flying. I'm hoping someone out there has had this issue and knows how to correct it.

If you look here at the SC release notes you see that you have the latest FW --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/sma..._Smart_Controller_Release_Notes_EN_202107.pdf

And furthermore ... the SC is an old Android based product, it's way too under powered for the Air 2s, DJI merely gambled when they made it compatible. Nowadays DJI bundle the Air 2s with the brand new RC Pro instead.

So the problems you experience will unfortunately not get solved ... the app/op.sys crashes & a reboot is needed, you still have control over your Air 2s but without app support & live view ... so when it happens one safety measure could be to manually initiate RTH by pushing the HW button on the SC.

Three thoughts:
1. I have SC and it has never crashed while using my Mini 2 or my A2S. It is old and it does lag and jitter if you screen record along with A2S record. But as long as you dont do both at once, it's fine PLUS you can use the HDMI out for DJI Goggles or any HDMI out goggles.

2. I ASSUMED that I had all of the updates available for my SC because it wirelessly prompts me to do them. But, yesterday, for the first time, I used the DJI Assistant 2 software for the goggles and it noted an update for the SC too that I didn't have. Loaded it and it all seems fine so far.

3. Would LOVE to have the new RCPro smart controller but, alas, no pile of cash available.

I was able to load DJI Fly v1.5.9 on it and it didn't help. I called DJI service and they told me to "Refresh" the firmware with DJI Assistant. I'm in the dark ages here when it comes to internet availability so I loaded everything up and went were there was high speed internet. Did the refresh. Came home and did a short flight overhead and all appeared to be ok. I'm charging up now and going to try it again just to make sure. I love the Air 2S as well as the convenience of the Smart Controller. Hopefully all will be well.

I was able to load DJI Fly v1.5.9 on it and it didn't help. I called DJI service and they told me to "Refresh" the firmware with DJI Assistant. I'm in the dark ages here when it comes to internet availability so I loaded everything up and went were there was high speed internet. Did the refresh. Came home and did a short flight overhead and all appeared to be ok. I'm charging up now and going to try it again just to make sure. I love the Air 2S as well as the convenience of the Smart Controller. Hopefully all will be well.
Fingers crossed Greg!

Well, here's my report. Flew just fine but when I tried to do any of the smart features with video (circle) the app crashed. I'm about at wits end. I'm using a 256 gig sd card and it's fast enough but I am going to try a smaller one. That's about the only thing different then before.

Well, here's my report. Flew just fine but when I tried to do any of the smart features with video (circle) the app crashed. I'm about at wits end. I'm using a 256 gig sd card and it's fast enough but I am going to try a smaller one. That's about the only thing different then before.
So sorry to hear that the problem persists. It shouldn't have anything to do with the SD Card...if you are worried about that, just enable the internal memory only to see. That error message is the most troubling part, like it didn't get installed completely. Above my pay grade...

I gave up and shipped it back to DJI. Hopefully they will figure it out.

Reactions: RGS2010
Did you ever get an assessment from our good friends at DJI?

Did you ever get an assessment from our good friends at DJI?
DJI sent me another remote. This one does the same thing. DJI Fly crashes. Luckily the RTH still works. Can't see anything when this happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica