DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller

TrevorDawes

Reactions
Hi all. Wonder if i am being a but silly here... I have retrieved the footage from the DJI Smart Controller and noticed that the file names are weird. What is the normal file names? On the supplied controller the file names are in date and time order.
Am i doing something wrong here?
I removed the SD card, poped it into my PC and coppied. Is this the usual practice?

The smart controllers are putting the wrong dates on files, leading people to think that the files are missing when viewed in date order. Is that part of the naming problem?

Reactions: ff22
You control what the file names begin with. You can select to start over ever time you fly your drone or be continuously renaming the files as you go.

The smart controllers are putting the wrong dates on files, leading people to think that the files are missing when viewed in date order. Is that part of the naming problem?
Mine was too until I set the smart controller time to use network time. There's a setting for that. Now it's always correct.

Reactions: mwardncsu
Where do you do that? I just looked through the menus and couldn't find it. But when I turned the SC on, it read 3:50 in the upper corner, but that was not the correct time. But after just a few seconds, it changed to 1:54 which was the correct time. But I still have files being saved with a time that's off by 14 hours and a date that says 1/18/2013.

Where do you do that? I just looked through the menus and couldn't find it. But when I turned the SC on, it read 3:50 in the upper corner, but that was not the correct time. But after just a few seconds, it changed to 1:54 which was the correct time. But I still have files being saved with a time that's off by 14 hours and a date that says 1/18/2013.
I'll have to look at my SC when I get home to find the exact place but I do remember when I got there it said something to the effect of set time to wifi which I did. If your time changed soon after your sc powered up, it appears you may already have that setting correct. After sc powers up, it tries to connect to wifi and when it does (if the setting is correct) the correct time will be updated in the sc. I does take a minute or so though. I had to manually set mine though. I got tired of seeing all my vids with the wrong date/time stamp. Now I always have my network time automatically update the sc time.

I'll have to look at my SC when I get home to find the exact place but I do remember when I got there it said something to the effect of set time to wifi which I did. If your time changed soon after your sc powered up, it appears you may already have that setting correct. After sc powers up, it tries to connect to wifi and when it does (if the setting is correct) the correct time will be updated in the sc. I does take a minute or so though. I had to manually set mine though. I got tired of seeing all my vids with the wrong date/time stamp. Now I always have my network time automatically update the sc time.

But the problem may lie far from any wifi networks if the controller glitches. Couple that with the fact that some people are unaware of the problem. Also, I gather there are legal time/date requirements for licensed pilots and being able to tamper with the stamps might be a problem.

But the problem may lie far from any wifi networks if the controller glitches. Couple that with the fact that some people are unaware of the problem. Also, I gather there are legal time/date requirements for licensed pilots and being able to tamper with the stamps might be a problem.
I always have my cell phone with me witch has wifi so there is no problem there. Regarding tampering with date/time stamps, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be worrying about date/time stamps on drone video except those of us that created the vids.

Reactions: RogerMav
I always have my cell phone with me witch has wifi so there is no problem there. Regarding tampering with date/time stamps, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be worrying about date/time stamps on drone video except those of us that created the vids.
I have been a number of places where I have no cell service and that's even with Verizon which has some pretty good coverage. Licensed pilots need the proper dates on various log and dat files from what I've read.

For me it is definitely a nuissance.

I have an airspace authorization for daylight ops, but my photos are dated at night. I suppose there's no REAL problem because it's obvious they were taken in daylight. But just for the sake of a logbook and flight records, it would be nice to have date and time agree with reality.

I have an airspace authorization for daylight ops, but my photos are dated at night. I suppose there's no REAL problem because it's obvious they were taken in daylight. But just for the sake of a logbook and flight records, it would be nice to have date and time agree with reality.
I flew yesterday, April 11th, and all the files are stamped March 31, 2019 (10PM at night though). So now it’s only off by 10 1/2 days instead of 6 years. Progress.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61