DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller

Mcscott

Reactions
I purchased the DJI Smart Controller two weeks ago to use with my Mavic Air 2. Everything works fine except for the location of the drone. It shows the drone to the right of me or behind me, even when it's sitting on the ground in front of me. It doesn't matter the altitude or location. I have recalibrated the drone and the controller three times and still have the same problem. I have checked the settings at least four times. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Reactions: jake20934
When you say you calibrated both, did that include the compass calibration in both the drone and controller?

I recalibrated the controller and the drone. I even deleted the drone and re-added it. If the drone is 2 feet or 500 feet in front of me and I'm facing the drone, it will show it to my right or behind me. I re-connected my original controller and everything is perfect. At one point last night, the controller showed the drone exactly where it was supposed to be. It was on the ground directly in front of me. 5 seconds later, I could see the drone drifting to my right and it stopped 90 degrees to my right. I have re-calibrated literally everything I can, including the joysticks... At this point, it's useless.

When you say you calibrated both, did that include the compass calibration in both the drone and controller?

I recalibrated the controller and the drone. I even deleted the drone and re-added it. If the drone is 2 feet or 500 feet in front of me and I'm facing the drone, it will show it to my right or behind me. I re-connected my original controller and everything is perfect. At one point last night, the controller showed the drone exactly where it was supposed to be. It was on the ground directly in front of me. 5 seconds later, I could see the drone drifting to my right and it stopped 90 degrees to my right. I have re-calibrated literally everything I can, including the joysticks... At this point, it's useless.

I got a smart controller several months ago to use with my Mavic Air 2. I have been getting the same issue. The drone icon at the bottom of the screen is to the right of my location when the drone is sitting 10 feet in front. Sometimes it shows it behind me.
This is not the way a premium piece of equipment should behave.
I recently turned on the aircraft and smart controller and got a notification to update the aircraft firmware. I did it (at home on Wi-Fi) and all messages said Successful.
From that point the smart controller has no video transmission. GoFly App shows a black screen. If I use the original controller, everything works fine!
I’m new to this forum. Where do I go to find a fix for the smart controller?

I got a smart controller several months ago to use with my Mavic Air 2. I have been getting the same issue. The drone icon at the bottom of the screen is to the right of my location when the drone is sitting 10 feet in front. Sometimes it shows it behind me.
This is not the way a premium piece of equipment should behave.
I recently turned on the aircraft and smart controller and got a notification to update the aircraft firmware. I did it (at home on Wi-Fi) and all messages said Successful.
From that point the smart controller has no video transmission. GoFly App shows a black screen. If I use the original controller, everything works fine!
I’m new to this forum. Where do I go to find a fix for the smart controller?
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona’

I’d contact DJI. You may have a warranty issue.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona’

I’d contact DJI. You may have a warranty issue.
Thanks for the welcome. I’ve gone to the DJI support site and kind of get lost in the FAQs that never relate to these serious issues. Can you direct me to the best way to actually communicate with DJI support?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve gone to the DJI support site and kind of get lost in the FAQs that never relate to these serious issues. Can you direct me to the best way to actually communicate with DJI support?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Skip the faq... just tell them it’s defective and you want a replacement.
You could also try @djidroneservice who will provide shipping both ways to get a diagnosis at least... just don’t void your warranty.

Reactions: DDS and THE CYBORG
we can certainly inspect it but being 2 weeks old i would deal w dji or speak to the vendor you purchased from

they should cover it if not we can take a look

seems like a software issue which is harder to identify and fix than a hardware issue.

Reactions: pelagic_one
There would be two reasons the orientation indicator would be wrong: SC's GPS or compass. Android are notorious for compass getting out of calibration.

Skip the faq... just tell them it’s defective and you want a replacement.
You could also try @djidroneservice who will provide shipping both ways to get a diagnosis at least... just don’t void your warranty.

I have the same problem. Icon is way off to the left or behind me. I called DJI and talked to them , did compass on drone and controller. Calibrated the imu.
I even returned and got a new one. Same issue. I think the problem is the fly app.
But I’m upset , if I loose site I have to hit RTH button.
To expensive not to work right. I’ve seen others with the MA2 and fly app have this problem.

The AC heading should be OK. Just yaw the AC until the icon nose faces the center, which is you.

Map can be used in the same way, maybe even better as you'll have landmarks.

The AC heading should be OK. Just yaw the AC until the icon nose faces the center, which is you.

Map can be used in the same way, maybe even better as you'll have landmarks.
Have you updated the firmware?
  • Date: 2020.01.10
  • Smart Controller Firmware: v01.00.0650
  • DJI GO 4 App: v4.3.28
  • DJI Pilot App: v1.6.1
  • DJI Assistant 2: DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.10
Might help-
All the best vjpapa

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics