DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do the Go4 and Fly apps give a warning if you are getting close to the boundary of a restriction zone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I live close enough to an airport for one or other or perhaps both of the apps to, on boot, give me a warning that I am close to a flight restriction zone. Where I normally fly is well clear of the restriction zone but I would like to make a couple of flights in an area that is closer to the boundary.
My question is, will the apps give a warning if the drone is approaching the boundary?
I DO NOT WANT TO CROSS THE BOUNDARY and I do not want the drone stuck inside it.
I have a vague recollection of some threads on here were pilots have encountered problems during RTHs etc. but any RTH would be heading away from the boundary

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the FLY app (I use Go4 on my Mavic Pro), but yes, it does slow the aircraft down and announce (over the phone / tablet speaker) about something being reached. It is a female Chinese voice that terribly mispronounces "reached". It sounds like "REE-atched".

This happens on my iPad, not sure that I've heard it on my Android device.

Try it for yourself. Go to the edge of a nofly zone, and attempt to fly towards the zone. When you start getting close, you will see it happen. It won't let you go into zone.

Thanks, does the phone vibrate? I am deaf and will not hear the Chinese lady even if she is yelling at the top of her voice.

My question is, will the apps give a warning if the drone is approaching the boundary?
I DO NOT WANT TO CROSS THE BOUNDARY and I do not want the drone stuck inside it.
In DJI Go 4, you cannot accidentally fly across the boundary.
If you try to it's like bumping into a soft, invisible wall.
You can fly along it and up and down, but not through it.

The problems some flyers have had are:
1. Launching inside the restricted zone before they acquired GPS which would have prevented launching.
2. Flying around a restricted zone to the other side and not being able to RTH on the straight line through the zone.

The DJI Geo zones are way off it’s your responsibility to know what type of zone you’re in.
Do not trust them because I know 100% certainty they don’t even correctly signal Controlled airspace.

The DJI Geo zones are way off it’s your responsibility to know what type of zone you’re in.
Do not trust them because I know 100% certainty they don’t even correctly signal Controlled airspace.
That is true, the DJI Geo zones are approximate and do not necessarily correspond accurately to actual controlled airspace.

However the GEO zones, as defined by DJI, are very accurately shown on the map display within their apps. The invisible wall is triggered precisely where displayed on the app. Find a convenient (discrete) spot where you can experiment flying up to, and against, the displayed boundary line to test what happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78