DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you remove props between flights?

westwind77

Reactions
My MPP came with props attached and over a few years of flights never damaged any of them so never needed to replace any.

I was shocked to see the 2s did not have props installed upon arrival, easy to attach though. That leads to my question......is there a reason to remove them after your flight for the day or when storing for a bit of time?

Even the SE for my son had the props pre-installed.

Thanks!

I don't remove my props but I do unfold and inspect them before every flight.

@westwind77 on my MPP i have always removed them after a day flying it gives me a chance to check them over and also make sure that none of the little lugs that locate in the motor fixing ring are damaged ,and although it might seem obsessive, for me it also means that the springs on the motor shaft are not under constant compression ,but thats just me being me
of course the MM and Mini2 props are better left attached because of the way they are fixed to the motors with screws

Mavic 2 here and I leave the props on. I feel they offer the central shaft some protection. I'd rather a prop took any damage caused in a storage or transportation knock than the shaft.
I'd agree with OMM concern about the springs taking a set and it being a means of checking the mounting lug but.....

Ditto with with the props staying on. I replaced the props on my MMP a while ago and spent an hour looking for a screw that I dropped. 😀
Regards

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Greg from the PilotInstitute recommended removing props any time you power on your drone indoors, in order to avoid any possibility of accidental flight, say, into a wall. I tend to do it when I power up a drone at home in order to download a DJI unlock or firmware upgrade. Or else I put prop guards on.

From my experience leaving the blades on in a case can warp the blades. The springs or not are not the issue for me at least. Your mileage may vary.....

I normally keep the blades on in a hard case where the blades are semi-protected. Seems safe enough, but after today I wonder if my rubber band retainer doesn't cause issues.

As a weird data point, I just fitted all new DJI blades on my Air 2 - I had hours of flight and obligatory insect strikes on the originals and recently scuffed them pretty good hitting the ceiling during an indoor flight test (guards didn't prevent contact). The noise level of today's flight was amazingly quiet. Not sure if it was the 28f air temps, 80% RH, or if the new blades are just better than the old blades.

But I'll be listening to the prop noise on subsequent flights.

Reactions: twickers14
This is the reason I bought an Air 2.
To take them off without having to screw around. ;)
I always take them off if I put the drone in any case or back pack.

My MPP came with props attached and over a few years of flights never damaged any of them so never needed to replace any.

I was shocked to see the 2s did not have props installed upon arrival, easy to attach though. That leads to my question......is there a reason to remove them after your flight for the day or when storing for a bit of time?

Thanks!
I have to take them off. The combination of a neoprene wetsuit and my case require me to need to do this to avoid damaging the props.

I would prefer not to. I've tossed around getting a bigger hard case that the drone can drop into unfolded.

Until then, it's not really that much of a bother, I like the protection of the wetsuit more than I hate taking the props off :)

As others have noted is a good time to inspect your props and rotors.

Thanks!
In almost 2 years of flying my Air 2, I have never removed the props. I fold them together and secure them with a soft rubber band around the closed drone before putting the whole unit into a soft carry bag and placing it in the Fly More bag. Removing the props frequently might create a loose fit over time; not worth the risk. I have also repainted the leading edges once with silver modelling paint, to reinforce some protection. It soars like an eagle! 😎 Cheers.

Thanks!
In four years of flying three different drones I have never removed the props between flights.

Dale

Thinking about it I'm not sure why, but I have always removed the props after flying. My drones are always in a hardshell case when not in use and it always seemed to me that leaving the props when shutting and latching the cover it would push on the props and put undue strain on the motor shift. I'm probably over thinking it but don't see changing how I do it.

If you remove the props you run the risk of installing them incorrect. Not removing them eliminates that risk. Plus leaving them installed shortens time to flight when unpacking in the field.

Reactions: snowghost
I have always taken the props off, but for a reason. My M2P always lives in its hard shell case when not in use. I may be over thinking this, but is leaving them on and shutting and latching the lid I feel like it would be putting undo horizontal stress on the motor shafts. The foam in the lid is pretty soft, but it still definitely presses on the props when left on. Anyway that's my two cents on the subject. I hope everyone is having a good and healthy beginning to there new year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones