DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you return home like a Helicopter or like an Airplane?

Take off like a Jet in S mode level out apprx 40m switch C mode CM continue mission and land like air craft do on AC Carrier in P mode. Its just a routine I do to practice hand eye and muscle memory coordination.
as long as its safe i come down like an aircraft on the glide slope,then i turn facing away from me and land manually,my reasons for doing it started when i flew my first drones which were liable to VRS if descending strait down to quickly, by descending and flying forwards at the same time this virtually prevents VRS from developing

Reactions: pelagic_one
I have many trees to worry about so I helicopter in. Out in the distance there is a bright red barn. I fly the drone directly overhead and spin it around to view that barn. I face the same direction. Point the camera down . Then I VLOS all the way down avoiding thin branches and leaves. Later I review the landing footage. Kind of boring but I don’t get to fly often so I’m always at some degree of rusty. And all my landing footage shows this old, fat guy standing near the landing pad looking straight up.

I'm a new Drone Pilot, a little over a month. I started with the vertical style (Helicopter) landings but a couple of weeks ago I started working on making smooth airplane style approaches. It has become a great training aid for my basic Drone flying skills. Its rewarding to make a constant approach path down to just above my Landing Pad. Along with coping with various wind conditions, I also have to dodge some small trees on "Short Final" before I get to the Landing Pad. Great two stick coordination (Hopefully) is very rewarding and since I am a retired Professional Pilot, it just seems "Right" to me.

Airplane mode. Always wanted to be an airplane pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929