DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone else think the method of attaching props would be better if WE had to use a nut .....

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

rather than a screw i.e. there was a shouldered stud protruding from the motor with a nut holding the prop down with respect to it? Or maybe a prop alignment jig to hold the props square until the screws are in?
It's just I can forsee damaged threads in the motors, I am mechanically competent but given the tiny diameter of the current screw threads and the cant of the motors to anything we hold on the drone screwing those prop screws in gives me the eebee geebees!

Reactions: ff22
rather than a screw i.e. there was a shouldered stud protruding from the motor with a nut holding the prop down with respect to it? Or maybe a prop alignment jig to hold the props square until the screws are in?
It's just I can forsee damaged threads in the motors, I am mechanically competent but given the tiny diameter of the current screw threads and the cant of the motors to anything we hold on the drone screwing those prop screws in gives me the eebee geebees!
Just their size makes me shake. I can see or rather NOT SEE them bouncing across the floor or disappearing into the carpet knap.

There's that adapter which allows a twist fit to replace the current system. A fitting is screwed on in place of the props and then props fit the adapter. Don;t know anything about it.

A 'knap'-kin/bib (excuse the initially uninttended pun) between your collar and the work surface is good, just make sure its bow is bowl like in 3D rather than ridge like. Since they send 6 screws with 4 props I wonder if they have taken the getting lost in carpet knap problem into account.
I will have a look at the QR idea, thanks. edit (are you thinking of the banggood stuff Quick Release Base Mount with 4726F Propeller Props Blade Set for DJI Mavic Mini Drone RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com ) From what I can see the blades end up being held in place by one self tapper biting in presumably plastic, which unnerves me and is a pity

Last edited by a moderator:
Every decision on the production of the Mavic Mini was made with weight shaving in mind. It saves weight to have the screws for the propellers rather than the spring and clips.

I would also imagine the weight of the prop hub plus post and nut would outweigh the current screw system.

It does look like a weak point in the system, but with careful use it should not be an issue.

Last edited:
I agree that post and nut would probably be very slightly heavier but my thinking is that there are probably a lot of Mavic mini users out there that rarely use a screwdriver let alone drive such a tiny screw squarely. That said, thinking about it, I suppose there's probably a fair chance of such people cross threading a tiny nut if they have no feel for these things but at least the post could be replaced. Then there are those people who are 'handy' but are getting older and using glasses etc. e.g. me.
I have actually begun to think about aluminium motor caps, of course not needing to replace the props in the first place is the best solution lol

ROFLMA re "It does look like a weak point in the system, but with careful use it should be an issue. " why is it that if we make a typo it is often at one of the most critical points of the sentence ? Glad to see I am not the only person that does it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vic Moss
ROFLMA re "It does look like a weak point in the system, but with careful use it should be an issue. " why is it that if we make a typo it is often at one of the most critical points of the sentence ? Glad to see I am not the only person that does it
[/QUOTE]

Oops. Yeah, it sort of changes the entire point of the sentence. I guess I should fix that. Thanks for catching it!

Yes I hate the tiny screws, most come with lock tight on them so it's easy to get them cross-threaded. It's only a matter of time to be a problem but on the good side it's a pretty easy and not very costly repair...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett