DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the camera lens have a cover ?

DavidBlezard

Reactions
Today was the first time I tried an ND lens filter. When I removed the stock lens frame to put on an ND filter on, I dropped it.later when I was taking off the ND filter and putting the original frame back on I noticed it is only a frame with no glass or plastic to cover the lens. Is this normal ? I did not pay attention when I took it off.

Today was the first time I tried an ND lens filter. When I removed the stock lens frame to put on an ND filter on, I dropped it.later when I was taking off the ND filter and putting the original frame back on I noticed it is only a frame with no glass or plastic to cover the lens. Is this normal ? I did not pay attention when I took it off.

I think I understand what you are saying and it actually does not sound right to me. The "frame" or screw cap is intended to house something that either filters light and/or protects the camera lens itself. Maybe It popped out when you dropped it.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I swapped the lens cover for an ND16 a few days ago on my MA2 and yeah, it's just a frame. No glass. Kinda weird as you'd think that it would act as protection for the lens.

I swapped the lens cover for an ND16 a few days ago on my MA2 and yeah, it's just a frame. No glass. Kinda weird as you'd think that it would act as protection for the lens.

that is what I thought. To double check I’m going to the local drone shop today. Thanks for responding.

Are we talking M2 zoom or pro? Maybe that’s confusion. I have a zoom.

I very carefully protected the cover on the Mavic 1 and 2 lens from any type of smudge or print and ..I guess I protected it so well that I never realized that it was just an empty frame until someone mentioned it on the forum.

Reactions: DavidBlezard
DO NOT FLY THE MAVIC AIR 2 WITHOUT THE EMPTY RING OR A FILTER IN PLACE...
The holes the ring or filter fit into on the camera body have a direct path to the gimbal motor gears. Any dust or dirt in there will mess up the smooth gimbal movement.

Mavic Air 2 has only an empty frame to allow for consistent weight balance of the gimbal system when replaced by a filter.
Note: Any glass in front of a high quality lens reduces image quality. There are still "careful" photographers out there who spend thousands of dollar on a great lens and then giving it all away by attaching a UV or similar filter in front - in order to "protect" the lens! - Double waste of money.
I do sometimes attach an ND/PL filter to my drone - I try to achieve a certain effect - not as protection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada