DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does yaw adjustment affect AC control?

GARhythm

Reactions
When flying in close quarters or at speed, does adjusting the yaw to a slower rate significantly affect ability to avoid obstacles?

are you asking auto avoidance or you flying

it shouldnt affect auto avoidence as it is more fwd and back, no side sensors on MA2. so if you are yawing into a tree take some extra props

I would think obstacles are avoided more by using the right stick, not by using the yaw control
That's true, but I meant turning or changing direction. Adjusting yaw speed would slow down these actions. I wondered if a more experienced pilot would think this would present a significant problem at speed.

IMO its flying to the conditons you are in. why would you want to go break neck if there are obsticles around...ok maybe some great footage but very risky

yes slowing it down does effect maneuveribility in that direction. Also turning up yaw smoothness decreases yaw accuracy and reactions as it overshoots more. For most applications though you tend to adjust whatever it’s set too as it definitely changes the turning from a performance perspective.

options are to practice using very minimal & smooth yaw inputs so you have that extra to play with. In essence I fly very differently when flying to capture video vs flying for flying. The yaw settings now being able to be adjusted does mean we need to prioritise what the mission of the flight is for. It’s super useful to turn it down for video but not so much for flight. You can also rememberas we fly 3d there might be other options to avoid the obstacles. Up and over, down and under for example. It’s all swings & roundabouts.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
yes slowing it down does effect maneuveribility in that direction. Also turning up yaw smoothness decreases yaw accuracy and reactions as it overshoots more. For most applications though you tend to adjust whatever it’s set too as it definitely changes the turning from a performance perspective.

options are to practice using very minimal & smooth yaw inputs so you have that extra to play with. In essence I fly very differently when flying to capture video vs flying for flying. The yaw settings now being able to be adjusted does mean we need to prioritise what the mission of the flight is for. It’s super useful to turn it down for video but not so much for flight. You can also rememberas we fly 3d there might be other options to avoid the obstacles. Up and over, down and under for example. It’s all swings & roundabouts.
Thank you. That's I wanted to get clarification on. I'm not a skilled photographer, though I'm trying to learn. I do like like to fly just for flying sake. Becoming more adept as a pilot can help to concentrate more on the video or photo opportunities.

@GARhythm I believe you are asking about the effect on turns when using both sticks, correct? For example turning right, left stick partially to 2 o'clock, right stick ditto. Or at least that's the way I usually end up doing it.

If you like to shoot through gaps in hedgerows etc typically you'll be tweaking your approach to avoid the edges of the gap. If you're used to one sensitivity setting on the left stick and then reduce that setting, you have to account for the fact it's going to affect the turn profile, specifically the a/c will turn in a wider radius unless you likewise change your instinctive inputs to compensate for the yaw speed reduction.

No big deal, just FPV-it and if necessary push the yaw further toward its max without over-correcting. Don't forget to let go both of the sticks if you're not going to make it, obviously. Rinse and repeat.

Like all learning scenarios best to practise it somewhere where you're not going to take out any innocent bystanders :)

I have a lot of cool gaps in hedgerows to fly through around here and I hope the Fly app and MM controller firmware gets this feature to help smooth-out dual stick corrections and turns. Bear in mind since I don't have it on my MM I've not used said sensitivity adjustment. It's just logical reasoning on my part based on what I already know. Let me know if it works, and I trust someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: GARhythm
I do like like to fly just for flying sake. Becoming more adept as a pilot can help to concentrate more on the video or photo opportunities.
A really good practice maneuver is a low slow figure eight in a semi restricted area. You will learn muscle control and see right away how important speed control is on the radius of the turn. Make sure that you do them in both directions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikeberan56