DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Doing anything with the controller

WNYBill

Reactions
Does the controller and the drone have to be connected (turned on) to do anything? I want to upgrade the controller software. It bothers me that the drone will overheat if not being flown.

Reactions: old man mavic
Does the controller and the drone have to be connected (turned on) to do anything? I want to upgrade the controller software. It bothers me that the drone will overheat if not being flown.
Or if you don't want to use the assistant, you can blow a fan directly across the front of the craft. I did that for about half an hour the other day, and it remained only 'slightly warm'.

Or if you don't want to use the assistant, you can blow a fan directly across the front of the craft. I did that for about half an hour the other day, and it remained only 'slightly warm'.
Good suggestion for when the drone is switched on but not flying, although it would, I think, be better to have the fan directing its draught AT the front of the drone and the hopefully through the drone rather than across the front ...... But are you suggesting it is necessary to have the drone switched on when the desire is to update only the controller ?
That would seem odd to me but I don't have a mini 3 so I might be out of touch.

All drones or controllers can be updated in 1min with DJI ASSISTANT.
Just connect USB-C to drone or controller to PC or MAC, launch DJI ASSISTANT 2, turn on drone or controller, it will check if there is an update then click update. It take 1-2 min and I always do like that because it takes a very long time by DJI Fly... and if it is just for the controller you don't have to turn on the drone..

All drones or controllers can be updated in 1min with DJI ASSISTANT.
Just connect USB-C to drone or controller to PC or MAC, launch DJI ASSISTANT 2, turn on drone or controller, it will check if there is an update then click update. It take 1-2 min and I always do like that because it takes a very long time by DJI Fly... and if it is just for the controller you don't have to turn on the drone..
I would suggest that, were you mention the assistant 2 program, you add the prefix? "relevant".
There are various versions of the assistant 2 and as I recollect some are model specific.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Can I ask a related question while I'm here ? I am doing the same as OP but on an RC2.

If we do download both controller AND craft firmware to that without connection to drone (as Nobby shows) does the update actually start installing to the drone as soon as it is next on and connected with RC2, or is that something we have to instantiate manually ?

Can I ask a related question while I'm here ? I am doing the same as OP but on an RC2.

If we do download both controller AND craft firmware to that without connection to drone (as Nobby shows) does the update actually start installing to the drone as soon as it is next on and connected with RC2, or is that something we have to instantiate manually ?
To Flash firmware to your Drone , it must be connected via cable to the Flash software you are using on your computer like assistant 2

Reactions: AeroJ
To Flash firmware to your Drone , it must be connected via cable to the Flash software you are using on your computer like assistant 2

Actually, no, it doesn't. Everything – RC, aircraft, batteries – can be updated wirelessly through the RC (Pro, Smart, RC1, RC2, etc.).

I haven't used Assistant 2 for a firmware update since the Mavic 2 Pro. I've been updating Minis, Air 2(S), FPV, Avata 1&2, and most recently the Air 3 this way.

Reactions: AeroJ

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86