DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Downtown Miami looking down the Miami River

Erk1024

Reactions
First off, I have to give a tip of the hat to @Dale D who inspired this shot with his excellent image. I don't think I really improved on Dale's version, but it was worth a try. For one thing, I didn't get the exposure right and lost some of the advantage of shooting brackets. It's tricky as by the time the building lights come on, the scene as a whole is pretty dark. At one point I had to drop the M3 to 6' above the water because a helicopter with pontoons flew through the area.

Be sure to zoom in, it's a big image:

Awesome photo!

Reactions: sarahb and Erk1024
How many shots did you take across and down. Or did you use an automated pano selection?

This was 3 vertically, and 5 across and all of them were AEB shots. I had the exposure set too low so my brackets skewed dark and I didn't get as much of the dynamic range as I wanted, but it turned out OK. I guess the dynamic range of the M4/3 lens saved my bacon. This is a tricky shot to take because it has to be dark enough to capture the lights.

That automatic panorama feature (with AEB) that the Air 3S has would be super useful, obviously. Doing it this way, it's easy to get uneven coverage or miss shots. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy
This was 3 vertically, and 5 across and all of them were AEB shots. I had the exposure set too low so my brackets skewed dark and I didn't get as much of the dynamic range as I wanted, but it turned out OK. I guess the dynamic range of the M4/3 lens saved my bacon. This is a tricky shot to take because it has to be dark enough to capture the lights.

That automatic panorama feature (with AEB) that the Air 3S has would be super useful, obviously. Doing it this way, it's easy to get uneven coverage or miss shots. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the response. As you said, great shot! Worthy of selling wall prints. Contact the city public affairs, or marketing department. I bet you could do well with this amazing shot.

Very nice shot and thank you for sharing....good luck with the City also and I think they'll like it.

Reactions: Erk1024
This photo, taken by my great grandfather (the first boat builder in Miami) in 1906, shows where the Miami River empties into Biscayne Bay, approximately where your photo was made...

Attachments

• Miami River_ca-1906.jpg
    Miami River_ca-1906.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Wow
Reactions: Erk1024
This photo, taken by my great grandfather (the first boat builder in Miami) in 1906, shows where the Miami River empties into Biscayne Bay, approximately where your photo was made...
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

The Miami river has many bridges / draw bridges. I was thinking of cruising down it with the Avata2. It's so built up now, it doesn't really have a "river bank" except near some of the city parks.

I also wonder sometimes if Miami is going to be the new Venice. Maybe I was there around high tide, but the water is *right there*. Like a foot or two from covering the land. A little storm surge and this whole area would be underwater. There are other areas further down the coast like this.

Update: Looking at the tide charts, I *was* there at high tide.

1730078147650.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr