DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downward Facing Sensor

moparherb

Reactions
If I was flying over some tree covered land at about 150 feet and I discovered an object directly underneath my Mini 2 so I decide to lower my altitude to get a better camera shot and there are small trees (about 30 footers) underneath me would the downward facing sensors warn me of an obstacle if I got close? Not to worried about trees on the sides but just underneath my drone. Any answers appreciated....

If I was flying over some tree covered land at about 150 feet and I discovered an object directly underneath my Mini 2 so I decide to lower my altitude to get a better camera shot and there are small trees (about 30 footers) underneath me would the downward facing sensors warn me of an obstacle if I got close? Not to worried about trees on the sides but just underneath my drone. Any answers appreciated....
Maybe.

Those sensors only kick in when you're very close, about a foot or two away from an obstacle. And they see straight down from the rear center of the body, so I believe it would be possible to get a prop strike with a front prop while descending.

Carefully experiment to see for yourself. Hover nearby, and use your hands/arms or a stick to carefully approach the drone from below. Notice what makes the drone go up and away, and what doesn't.

I wouldn't rely on them.

Last edited:
You won't get any form of actual warning. The aircraft will simply not descend and will hover for a moment even when holding down the stick if the sensors detect an obstacle underneath. If you continue to hold down on the stick long enough, it will engage the landing and you will get beeps as the a/c will start descending into the branch since it thinks you want to land, just the same as when you manually land on the ground. I've had this happen inadvertently when descending through trees, and once I realized I had engaged the landing I just pressed up on the stick to abort and prevent descending into a branch.

As far as the area the sensors cover, here's from page 16 of the manual:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.54.54 AM.png

Reactions: Rich QR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser