DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Droan flight over water in Hawaii

usaken

Reactions
Just watched a Great, well videoed and narrated droan flight from Lahina, Maui to the island of Lanai. The guy was flying a fixed wing, single prop, small UAV. The distance from Maui to Lenai is about 10 miles each way, so a total of 20 miles plus another 5 miles of backtracking, landing with a reserve of about 20% battery power. Height between about 150 and 75 feet above the water. He was using a cell phone and Ipad for control and telemetry. Truly amazing but isnt it illegal? His bird was certainly out of visual view for 95% of the overwater flight. thanks for your input. i’m just learning the new regs after being grounded for about 7 years. I take the 107 in about a month. Thanks

Right. Illegal, documented on video on public website. Unenforceable rules are no rules, and class G is for good luck.
BTW, never thought the word drone could get worse, but Droan...good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birds-in-Flight
Just watched a Great, well videoed and narrated droan flight from Lahina, Maui to the island of Lanai. The guy was flying a fixed wing, single prop, small UAV. The distance from Maui to Lenai is about 10 miles each way, so a total of 20 miles plus another 5 miles of backtracking, landing with a reserve of about 20% battery power. Height between about 150 and 75 feet above the water. He was using a cell phone and Ipad for control and telemetry. Truly amazing but isnt it illegal? His bird was certainly out of visual view for 95% of the overwater flight. thanks for your input. i’m just learning the new regs after being grounded for about 7 years. I take the 107 in about a month. Thanks
That UAV must have had a huge wing span and battery. When I was at Maui, just up from Lahaina, the winds at ocean surface was brutal even for wind surfers. At 150' it has to be 2 to 3 times as strong.

well, it must have been a low wind day. The vid should show that.
I saw the vid a while back too, pretty amazing.

Right. Illegal, documented on video on public website. Unenforceable rules are no rules, and class G is for good luck.
BTW, never thought the word drone could get worse, but Droan...good one.
I imagine the guy got spanked by the FAA. I understand they are prowling Youtube for just such videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM