DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Eating Tree!!

fguthrie

Reactions
A couple months ago, after having my M2P since last November crash free, I joined the crash club. We all know that the majority of crashes are pilot error and mine unfortunately was exactly that. I had just lifted my M2P off the ground in a very scenic location with the plan to execute a quick Asteroid and then move on. I was flying right next to a large tree about 50 feet up and the drone was facing toward me. I planned to roll right, but made the mistake of rolling left and proceeded to trim the branches of the tree. I would like to say that at that moment I maintained my cool and was able to get my M2P away from the tree, but that was not the case - I panicked! I let go of the sticks. The drone went on its side, the motors shut off and my heart sank as I watched it tumble through the branches of the tree. I could hear and feel every branch it went through. About half way down I could see it was going to pass right next to my better half. I yelled at her to grab it as it passed by, but she did not see it in time to do so and it continued on its path through the branches. I had launched it from a deck which had water and rocks below. The M2P fell along the side of the deck and disappeared. Quickly I looked over the railing and to my delight could see the drone on the ground vs on a rock or in the water. I scaled over the railing and proceeded down a very steep embankment to retrieve the drone. Once I arrived at the crash location I was surprised to see it on all four feet, in one piece and with a quick physical inspection it appeared undamaged! I scaled back up the embankment with my M2P. I took it to a near by parking lot and conducted a quick flight test ... it worked as expected. I was over joyed! This was the beginning of our road trip and I had plans for all kinds of epic shots - I was so happy it was working. We went back to the same location and I launched it again and did the asteroid and moved on - all worked as expected. I am still amazed that the drone lived through that experience ... I on the other hand almost had heart failure! The tree branches helped to cushion the fall. I've flown it many times since that day with no issues. I did re-calibrate the IMU and compass. The levels look good. I also have DJI Refresh, but can save it in case it is needed for another day.

Lesson learned (and I knew better): launch the drone facing away from you, then when you roll right, you will go right and might avoid a drone eating tree!

With the drone facing me I have started trying to think of stick movements in terms of which way I want the nose to go with respect to the nose and from the nose's perspective. When I can remember to do that it works.

Reactions: fguthrie
I assume you purchased Refresh November 2019 along with the M2P. If so and it still has a few days left, get it refreshed. Refresh is only valid for a year after all. If you've just entered Refresh Plus, then yeah, hold off.

Reactions: fguthrie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada