DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Flying Tough This Time Of Year

CorralesDan

Reactions
I love living in New Mexico - our big skies, 310 days of sunshine, mountains close, interesting cultures (Indian, Hispanic), etc. However, our New Mexico spring makes flying a drone somewhat difficult due to the prevailing winds...

• Sad
Reactions: Tufargon
I love living in New Mexico - our big skies, 310 days of sunshine, mountains close, interesting cultures (Indian, Hispanic), etc. However, our New Mexico spring makes flying a drone somewhat difficult due to the prevailing winds...

It has been the same way here in NorCal.

Yup
Looks like it is really tough to fly there. I cannot even see the video on the forum thats how tough it is LOL

View attachment 145122

Thats not tough, this is tough. LOL
View attachment 145123
Augustine, you jumped on the post too quick. I caught the mistake and corrected it, but you were just too fast. I guess I'll take our winds as a reason rather than all that deep snow.

Yup
Looks like it is really tough to fly there. I cannot even see the video on the forum thats how tough it is LOL

View attachment 145122

Thats not tough, this is tough. LOL
View attachment 145123
Yes, our frozen hearts would bleed for you if they could! Brrrr. I’m with you. Near Kalamazoo, MI where it’s currently 14 degrees F (-10C) and snowing. I’d trade for warm and windy for a week!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Yes, our frozen hearts would bleed for you if they could! Brrrr. I’m with you. Near Kalamazoo, MI where it’s currently 14 degrees F (-10C) and snowing. I’d trade for warm and windy for a week!
Ya yesterday we had the wind and blowing snow. Not so bad today but still cold. -7°F
Not extremely cold but cold enough for March LOL

C’mon guys. Keep your batteries warm and go get some winter footage. This ine way to keep your tablet working as long as your drone. Tape chemical handwarmers (2), on each side of the back of the tablet with cloth medical tape, cut the lid off a cloth insulated cooler and cut openings for cable and clamp. Good to well below zero fahrenheit.
1021F20F-5F50-4156-951E-88563AC5E246.jpeg

It's been frustrating here. The nice days I could have flown, I've been at work. Last week I rode the motocycle to work 2 days. Yesterday was 1 of them, nice 45 f on the way home.
Today 3-5 in of snow coming down with wind gusts to 40mph. I can at least go play with my garden tractors later, plow the snow off the drive.

It's been frustrating here. The nice days I could have flown, I've been at work. Last week I rode the motocycle to work 2 days. Yesterday was 1 of them, nice 45 f on the way home.
Today 3-5 in of snow coming down with wind gusts to 40mph. I can at least go play with my garden tractors later, plow the snow off the drive.
I’m with you about that from north of Pittsburgh. We got roughly 7” last night. Still nothing like Michigan or the east coast though. The snow has stopped here now but I’m sitting inside watching sheets of snow blowing horizontally across the corn field. No flying today. If it keeps up, I may not need to plow after all. Keep warm and safe!

Live on a ridge in SW NH, where we get our share of wind, too. Last year, my first year with a drone, I flew far less than I expected, due to wind. But heck, when the weather cooperates, it's great....

C’mon guys. Keep your batteries warm and go get some winter footage. This ine way to keep your tablet working as long as your drone. Tape chemical handwarmers (2), on each side of the back of the tablet with cloth medical tape, cut the lid off a cloth insulated cooler and cut openings for cable and clamp. Good to well below zero fahrenheit.
View attachment 145174
Its not the cold thats the problem, been out flying when it's -30°F. Have all the gear to combat the cold. Been doing winter flying since 2015. It's the strong winds that can make your day a bad one.
20211022_150243.jpg

Reactions: Tufargon
I am at the end my third week in Las Cruces and will be here another 3 weeks. Every day but yesterday has been sunny or mostly sunny. But yesterday we got some needed rain and a few snowflakes and then the sun came out. However most of those sunny days start with a light breeze, which soon escalates to 25 - 35 winds with gusts over 40. Fly early, because if you snooze, you lose. But you can still get some great photos with a camera.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1647140411906.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647140411906.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: PHZ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members