DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone locator direction is 90 degrees off

Were you and the drone 'correctly' orientated when the 'direction link' was established?
That might be with you and the controller facing the rear of the drone and the drone pointed away from you. I do not pay particular attention to the direction indicator (phone user, not SC) but from the times I have taken notice of it I get the impression that the original relative orientations have significance.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Were you and the drone 'correctly' orientated when the 'direction link' was established?
That might be with you and the controller facing the rear of the drone and the drone pointed away from you. I do not pay particular attention to the direction indicator (phone user, not SC) but from the times I have taken notice of it I get the impression that the original relative orientations have significance.
PF, I don’t know when the ‘direction link’ is established (didn’t even know it was established at a particular point in time).

When I power up and connect drone to controller, I am standing directly behind the drone with controller in front of me. Contoller is probably about 6’ away from the rear of the drone at that time.

Thank you kindly for your time and reply.

I don’t know when the ‘direction link’ is established (didn’t even know it was established at a particular point in time).
Nor do I lol but I do get the impression that there is some connection to the original orientations, of course I could be up a gum tree lol.
If you can think on perhaps you could consciously take note of what happens if for example, you are head on to the drone when the controller connects to the drone, then perhaps side on etc. Or maybe if you yourself have turned through an angle during the flight.

This is on new MA2 with new SC using latest updates. Problem persists after compass calibration.
Which compass ?
It's the compass in the display that is the problem, not the one in the drone.
It's being deflected by magnetic fields in the controller and giving a false display.

This is a commom problem. Just calibrate the compass of the SC and check it under good GPS signal. The problem should go away.

Last edited:
This is a commom problem. Just calibrate the compass of the SC and check it under good GPS signal. The problem should go away.
Assume when I calibrate compass by rotating drone, I’m calibrating the drone. How does one calibrate the SC?

SC compass calibration explained at 4:55

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: fullbore
Perform the figure eight compass calibration on your phone or your tablet see YouTube video. This work for me I perform it each time before I fly in the morning. I have also performed it with my phone/tablet attached to my controller.just be careful when you do that figure eight and a big sweep

Reactions: fullbore
You could also use the map view. It might not show heads up correctly, but you'll probably figure out where it is based on map landmarks.

Last edited:
You could also use the map view. It might not show heads up correctly, but youll probably figure out where it is based on map landmarks.
Good point. On next flight I’ll pull up the map. Curious if it’ll be correct. I knew where drone was located, but incorrect info on SC screen bothers me. I’d like to get that fixed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mth0d