DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone recovery claw, Mantis Claw Recovery hookgrabber

Waldo Pepper

Reactions
Recently purchased two different size Mantis Claw Recovery grabbers, finally tested with M2P today with three staged recoveries using a Bebop 2 as the downed drone.

It does work, using P mode getting to the recovery site. Then, shifted to tripod mode for recovery. Using tripod mode, M2P doesn’t swing the claw and allows M2P user to lower and position claw over downed drone. The claw opens itself as it touches the object, then once user sees claw opening, slowly ascend and claw will grab the object.

M2P Motors ramp up on their own during the flight back due to the extra weight, it’s going to use a lot more battery on it’s flight back keep this in mind.

Took a few pics during the staged recoveries from M2P, was a success as long as user uses tripod mode during the recovery. Once in flight, shift back to P-mode and fly back carefully.

Believe this particular claw was the 7” or 7.5” claw, good tool to have.

Happy flying,
Paul

4A8C35C8-D6B5-4D60-8AA6-47AE966E698F.jpeg13013746-95D6-40DE-A5A7-7C5C9E84562A.jpegD0C4040C-7681-4D64-AED8-F3E12040B129.jpeg45CFCF63-803A-442B-93C0-D04E54B03B15.jpeg0BD9AC37-8DD5-4155-B6BD-30B95669611E.jpeg04E7DC89-D966-4A79-8DCA-E96D3C198D56.jpeg2627008E-FA1C-40AA-A095-5561E89DFA76.jpegAFE64408-27F0-4A82-A5ED-7DDA6CB9DFD8.jpeg9331AA8C-C0BF-4DE8-8332-04DDB4C488B6.jpeg

I have seen a video of the Mantis claw and it looks like it works well. I also have seen a number of videos showing the rescue line or object being grabbed getting hung up on something and trapping the rescue drone. I think it would be a good idea to include a release mechanism in the rescue line so you are able to break away if needed. It could be simple like a magnet on the line and another one at the claw. Just make sure the line is still heavy enough after release to not get fouled in the props.

I have seen a video of the Mantis claw and it looks like it works well. I also have seen a number of videos showing the rescue line or object being grabbed getting hung up on something and trapping the rescue drone. I think it would be a good idea to include a release mechanism in the rescue line so you are able to break away if needed. It could be simple like a magnet on the line and another one at the claw. Just make sure the line is still heavy enough after release to not get fouled in the props.
Thanks for chimming in Mossiback,

Yes indeed the line needs to be heavier, I’m using an old extra long cell phone charger cord. Very firm with little flex, so far it’s working well with my testing. I’ve already mastered taking off and landing without getting the cord tangled up with the props, matter of keeping rescue cord tension tight throughout takeoff and landing.

I agree, a release mechanism is much needed. The double magnet concept sounds great, but adding extra weight is a factor. Still, something to ponder on magnets may be the solution.

Thank you for contributing to the post,
Paul

I had a play with this last year for a bit of fun. I used an elastic 'rope' but with enough length, that I could fly around and come down to be hand grabbed!
As I said, this was just a bit of fun, to see if it would work??
It was darn windy!!!

Reactions: ff22
I’ve been messing around with release mechanisms for a few months now and I just got in the mail a small version of this claw. Little did I know it had to be put together without instructions...
can’t wait to try out the claw, even if it is just to play with. I started out dropping things from the Drone, now I want to pick up.
Toy Parachute deployments were what I was after, but seeing as they fly every which way, I wanted to be able to possibly pick them up too. Some of the bigger chutes aren’t cheap! I picked up a light activated release setup for my Phantom P4, then I ordered a different kind for my MP. I’m having issues with the MP release remote signal, so I’ll probably return it. The light activated release (on the P4)seems finicky if you’re not within VLOS also.
Be careful with Mag interference using magnets too [emoji15].
Paracord is what I ended up using and you can buy it in almost any thickness. A small spool came with the release setup, so I bought a roll of bright purple 30lb line. I ended up shredding the first chute in my blades upon start up[emoji5].
Did you have to turn off any sensors or just go into Tripod mode? I’d like to see what you come up with for your release setup so good luck[emoji106].

What is the length of the cable from the claw to the drone? I purchased a 5" and want to determine the best length to decrease the effects of prop wash or maybe it should be determined by other factors.

Hey mate, for me, I used elastic, the deciding factor was if the hook got caught up on the roof, I could still fly down and hand grab the drone.
Hence I ended up with about 6 ft.

Hey mate, for me, I used elastic, the deciding factor was if the hook got caught up on the roof, I could still fly down and hand grab the drone.
Appreciate the response, I was thinking about anything between 4 ft and 6 ft.

If you were picking something up from the ground, I'd say that would be fine?

I carried this dog chew toy to drop (remote release) with about 15” of paracord and it worked out pretty good. You might want to use a small lead sinker to add a little weight to that small claw if it’s the same plastic one I have. The claw itself doesn’t have enough weight by itself.

0f2ef808adaf185325fc8d5da011c8ff.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes