DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone RTH settings.

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
So recently, my Mavic Air 2 lost connection to the controller (Not that far away from it either, so still trying to work that out). 10 seconds later, auto RTH kicked in and for what seemed like forever I had no idea what was going on.

Upon inspecting the footage, it seems the drone gained some altitude, turned around and flew home. But twice on the way, it encountered trees, stopped, flew up, then continued. (I was in tripod mode).

1. I swear I'd set the Auto RTH altitude to 400ft/120m. Shouldn't it have automatically climbed that high? Did it fly extra high to clear those obsticles? (To me it seemed to be well below 120m).

2. If I have set the Auto RTH too low by accident, why did sense the tree and climb? (I like the behaviour. But if that's how it's going to be, why bother setting a 120m RTH altitude?)

3. The return footage was actually amazing, but I wish instead of stopping and rising it had adjusted it's flightpath in a less jerky way. Is there a way to set that up?

4. Would the drone have acted differently if it had been in normal or sport mode? And once connection was re-established, could I have put it in tripod mode to take advantage of the extra sensors?

So recently, my Mavic Air 2 lost connection to the controller (Not that far away from it either, so still trying to work that out). 10 seconds later, auto RTH kicked in and for what seemed like forever I had no idea what was going on.

Upon inspecting the footage, it seems the drone gained some altitude, turned around and flew home. But twice on the way, it encountered trees, stopped, flew up, then continued. (I was in tripod mode).

1. I swear I'd set the Auto RTH altitude to 400ft/120m ...

That's easy determined if you provide us with the mobile device .TXT log ... read up here on how to retrieve it --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.) Attach it then in a new post here.

2. If I have set the Auto RTH too low by accident, why did sense the tree and climb? (I like the behaviour. But if that's how it's going to be, why bother setting a 120m RTH altitude?)

I recommend that you read & learn the behavior directly from the full 53 page user manual ... all is described there in detail. Get it here --> Mavic Air 2 User Manual v1.2
Furthermore obstacle avoidance isn't 100% fail proof, it can fail if dark or if objects are to thin. But it's up to you how much you trust the functionality.

3. The return footage was actually amazing, but I wish instead of stopping and rising it had adjusted it's flightpath in a less jerky way. Is there a way to set that up?

Unfortunately not ... the obstacle avoidance during RTH is automated ... you can either chose to have it on or off.

4. Would the drone have acted differently if it had been in normal or sport mode? And once connection was re-established, could I have put it in tripod mode to take advantage of the extra sensors?

The RTH is a mode in it self ... it doesn't matter which mode you are in when it get's activated.

Not that far away from it either

How far away?
Between approx. 15 and 60 feet away the drone will return at current altitude. Please post your logs like sup asked for in post no. 2. This will tell what is really going on.

Is obstacle avoidance still working within the RTH between 15 and 60 ft? If so it may explain why the ac increased in altitude but not as high as the OP expected.

1. I swear I'd set the Auto RTH altitude to 400ft/120m. Shouldn't it have automatically climbed that high? Did it fly extra high to clear those obsticles? (To me it seemed to be well below 120m).

If you were flying within 20m (65ft) distance from the home point, the aircraft would not ascend to the RTH height and just find its way back to the home point maintaining the current altitude and then land. You may watch this video where the RTH is explained in detail.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute