DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones Helping at Crash Scenes

Bigbird48

Reactions
New DPS drone program helping to solve how and why accidents happen

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - When DPS trooper Brian Hon rolls up to a scene, instead of looking around, he simply looks up.
“If you ask anybody around they kind of know me as 'The Drone Guy,'” Hon said.
He single-handedly launched the department's drone program by buying his own and testing the software, to see if it would even work.

“We put the two together and, pardon the pun but it took off,” he laughed.
But this is next level technology, which he can now use to reproduce crash scenes for investigations.
When an accident happens, they’ll launch their drone directly over the scene and use a flight path to take hundreds of pictures so they can recreate the crash using 3D technology.
“Using that software we stitch all the photos together and essentially come up with a Google maps style image” Hon said.
Those photos all have GPS data tied to them, so the renderings are exactly to scale, meaning near-perfect measurements for investigators.
“We can recreate mathematically what happened later. We can measure tire friction marks inside the imagery,” he said. “Chips and gouges and stuff like that in the roadway we can see with the drone that we couldn’t see otherwise.”
This benefits you as a driver too. The faster the drone takes pictures of the crash, the sooner they can clear it.

Hon said other agencies using this in the country are clearing scenes up to 70 percent faster.
It's not the kind of "sidekick" Trooper Hon expected to have.
“I’m very passionate about this. This is kind of ‘my baby’ this program is a little bit,” he said.
For him it's been pretty cool to watch it take flight.

->> Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

1551556507157.png
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

Saw a Highway Patrol officer flying over the Highway 95 right outside of Las Vegas about 3 weeks ago. I was headed North and saw him flying a drone. I told my girlfriend I was going to pull over and get out and fly as well over the freeway. She gave me a look like "you have got to be F 'kin kidding me". I thought it would be so awesome to just walk up kinda close with my bird in the air and then just give the officer a whats up kinda nod.

Like I fly here all the time how 'bout you?

I bet he was using the drone for this very purpose. Accident reconstruction!

So many things wrong with doing that I immediately thought better of the plan.

Last edited:
We were heading back to Northern Nevada after a weekend of debauchery.

I was able to fly at an interesting spot named 7 Magic Mountains. Its this place in the desert where an artist has assembled these massive stones that are stacked upon each other and painted with bright colored paint.

Here is an image . Ive got video to edit as well.

DJI_0786.JPG

One officer only that I spotted and one drone. Travelling at freeway speed I cocked my head to try and see what model it was and could not tell. I saw the officer first with something in his hands and thought. Thats not a radar gun. Then as I got closer I realized it was a Remote Control and he was the PIC of a UsAS . I was craning my neck to try and determine what model and could not.

Reactions: Turn11
There’s another potential opportunity for 107 pilot jobs- flying for insurance companies...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead