DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

drying your drone

Jackcutrone

Reactions
I have read more than a few posts about people whose drones landed in water or who flew in rain or fog or snow and wanted to dry them out. Often the poster says that he used uncooked rice.

I did some research on the topic and rice is not very good as a desiccant. Silica gel is probably the best that you can easily get or may have around if you save the little packets that come in pills, electronics or shoes, etc. If you have those laying around they have probably absorbed moisture from the air but can be recharged by baking in an oven at about 120 degrees (Too hot and it loses its ability to absorb moisture.) How To Recharge Silica Gel Crystals - Beyond Photo Tips

If you don't want to try and save up all those little packets, then you may want to use kitty litter, something that is very available and much more effective than rice though not quite as good as silica gel. There are various types of kitty litter and some do contain silica gel. Depending on ambient humidity, you will most like want to put the drone in a sealed container with the kitty litter. Dry it as much as you can by trying to shake out the water and dry the outside with towels or paper towels first. Heat can help in the initial drying process but too much heat WILL damage some of the electronic components.

Or if you have other good suggestions let us know,

If it's dry and breezy simply leaving it in the open air is a good way to dry stuff like this

On another thread some said that dust from kitty litter can cause problems if it gets inside the drone. I wasn’t suggesting covering the drone with kitty litter just putting it on top of kitty litter in a box and then closing the box.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada