DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Each Flight Logged - Checklist

BMichigan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all, I am new here and gathered a lot of info on the flight checklist. The FAA says we need to use a template.
My question is are we required to keep a copy of each completed checklist? That seems redundant versus marking that "pre-flight checks are complete".
I assume we can do just that in the flight log so if something were to occur the template can be shown as to what occurs pre-flight.

I tried to search this out before posting.

Reactions: sarahb and 4006448
Hello all, I am new here and gathered a lot of info on the flight checklist. The FAA says we need to use a template.
My question is are we required to keep a copy of each completed checklist? That seems redundant versus marking that "pre-flight checks are complete".
I assume we can do just that in the flight log so if something were to occur the template can be shown as to what occurs pre-flight.

I tried to search this out before posting.
I never heard of being able to perform a preflight check list that can be recorded in the flight log. My understanding is that the FAA suggests (not mandates) that you should complete a preflight checklist and save them, in case something happens during your flight. It would definitely help a pilot's case, if he performed a checklist and the fault wasn't due to the way he was flying.

I have a friend who's company uses them but its only a company thing and NOT required by law I have no idea what his company does with these? They got their checklists from the net somewhere.
There is a company that makes really fancy plastic ones I have not searched for them in a while.

§ 107.49 Preflight familiarization, inspection, and actions for aircraft operation.​

Prior to flight, the remote pilot in command must:

(a) Assess the operating environment, considering risks to persons and property in the immediate vicinity both on the surface and in the air. This assessment must include:
(1) Local weather conditions;
(2) Local airspace and any flight restrictions;
(3) The location of persons and property on the surface; and
(4) Other ground hazards.

(b) Ensure that all persons directly participating in the small unmanned aircraft operation are informed about the operating conditions, emergency procedures, contingency procedures, roles and responsibilities, and potential hazards;

(c) Ensure that all control links between ground control station and the small unmanned aircraft are working properly;

(d) If the small unmanned aircraft is powered, ensure that there is enough available power for the small unmanned aircraft system to operate for the intended operational time;

(e) Ensure that any object attached or carried by the small unmanned aircraft is secure and does not adversely affect the flight characteristics or controllability of the aircraft; and

(f) If the operation will be conducted over human beings under subpart D of this part, ensure that the aircraft meets the requirements of § 107.110, § 107.120(a), § 107.130(a), or § 107.140, as applicable.

The old legal saying is "if it is not written down, it did not happen."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas