DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Enlarging Map to fly home after display is lost?

kjmasson

Reactions
I just discovered last night and want to confirm if this is accurate;

If you lose the phone/tablet video display due to loss of signal/interference, there is still a usable link between the actual Remote Control and the Mini?
I lost the video display last night and just for fun, switched to the map display and was able to fly it around and see my position on the map, even though I had no display showing from the mini's camera feed.
By using this I was able to position the mini to fly towards my home point on the map while all telemetry was still being displayed overtop of the map?

Is this what everyone means when they say learn to fly home without using RTH? Do they mean switch to the map display and use that to return it to home at whatever speed and height you need to?

KJ

If you lose the phone/tablet video display due to loss of signal/interference, there is still a usable link between the actual Remote Control and the Mini?
I lost the video display last night and just for fun, switched to the map display and was able to fly it around and see my position on the map, even though I had no display showing from the mini's camera feed.
If you could do that, you had just lost the video but still had the control signal.
If you lose all signal, you'll have no control and no telemetry and will have to depend on Failsafe RTH to bring the drone back.

This, from the bottom of page 12 of the manual, always worries me.

"RTH will also be triggered if the video link is disconnected.".

However the only time I have lost video was almost simultaneous with a loss of signal.

You can use the map or the orientation icon at the bottom center of the FLY app screen. I use the latter mostly.

Whether the drone can be controlled in that circumstances depends on whether telemetry data from the drone can be received by the RC and the control signal from the RC can be received by the drone. If the link is really bad, you wont be able to do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andresc.castrog