DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Epson Smart Glasses

Gecko10

Reactions
Anyone using the EPSON Smart Glasses? If so, how do you like them?

I"ve been using them with my MPP for about 3/4 of year. They're terrific. There are a few things you need to know - like you might need to spend another $200 to get lenses that will adjust for the difference between your interpupilary distanace and the distance of the two screens (which you can combine with your distance prescription if you need, but don't want to use glasses.

I would recommend reading the discussion group on the Moverios [Here's a link]

Gary

I"ve been using them with my MPP for about 3/4 of year. They're terrific. There are a few things you need to know - like you might need to spend another $200 to get lenses that will adjust for the difference between your interpupilary distanace and the distance of the two screens (which you can combine with your distance prescription if you need, but don't want to use glasses.

I would recommend reading the discussion group on the Moverios [Here's a link]

Gary

Jeez.....so $700 to $800 for the glasses and another $200 for the IPD adjustment. Man...those glasses are quite pricey.

I didn't realize that someone had a fix for the IPD issue. I bought the Moverio when it first came out and while I liked the concept, the unadjustable IPD just made them completely unusable for me as I have a large IPD. Ultimately I returned them. It may be time to take another look. I am curious how adding lenses can fix the IPD issue. I'll have to try and figure that out,

I didn't realize that someone had a fix for the IPD issue. I bought the Moverio when it first came out and while I liked the concept, the unadjustable IPD just made them completely unusable for me as I have a large IPD. Ultimately I returned them. It may be time to take another look. I am curious how adding lenses can fix the IPD issue. I'll have to try and figure that out,
They're made by Rochester Optical. They build a diffraction into the prescription. I will tell you, it's amazing how well they work. I had ghosting from the IPD difference, that made it very difficult to read the screen, particularly the smaller icons and gauges. Now, with the IPD adjustment, it's clear as day. That $200 made the $700 worth the money, if that makes any sense. I don't know if you wear glasses for distance or not. I don't, but I see 20/30 out of one eye, so, since it's the same price, I included that in the prescription as well. If you do, you can get the insert to cover everything (and you won't need to wear your glasses under the Moverios). Yes...they are expensive - but they take the experience to a new level.

Just a note: When I got the IPD adjustment inserts, I spoke with a guy at Rochester Optical who told me two important things for the best results:
  1. Have the IPD for each eye individually measured. Your face is not likely perfectly symmetrical, so it's not the distance from pupil to pupil that matters as much as the distance of each pupil to the center of your face. When you give the prescription to Rochester it looks like xx/yy rather than zzz
  2. If you're having a prescription put into the inserts, use your DISTANCE prescription - and NOT your reading prescription. Even though the screens are right against your eyes, the Moverios simulate projection at 5m, so you want to use the prescription you require at that distance.
Expensive? Yes.
Worth it? Depends on your financial situation. For me, yes...well worth it to maximize the experience of the glasses.

- Gary

They're made by Rochester Optical. They build a diffraction into the prescription. I will tell you, it's amazing how well they work. I had ghosting from the IPD difference, that made it very difficult to read the screen, particularly the smaller icons and gauges. Now, with the IPD adjustment, it's clear as day. That $200 made the $700 worth the money, if that makes any sense. I don't know if you wear glasses for distance or not. I don't, but I see 20/30 out of one eye, so, since it's the same price, I included that in the prescription as well. If you do, you can get the insert to cover everything (and you won't need to wear your glasses under the Moverios). Yes...they are expensive - but they take the experience to a new level.

Just a note: When I got the IPD adjustment inserts, I spoke with a guy at Rochester Optical who told me two important things for the best results:
  1. Have the IPD for each eye individually measured. Your face is not likely perfectly symmetrical, so it's not the distance from pupil to pupil that matters as much as the distance of each pupil to the center of your face. When you give the prescription to Rochester it looks like xx/yy rather than zzz
  2. If you're having a prescription put into the inserts, use your DISTANCE prescription - and NOT your reading prescription. Even though the screens are right against your eyes, the Moverios simulate projection at 5m, so you want to use the prescription you require at that distance.
Expensive? Yes.
Worth it? Depends on your financial situation. For me, yes...well worth it to maximize the experience of the glasses.

- Gary
I appreciate the extra info. I don't mind the financial side as long as they work well. I really wanted to love them when I tried them but just couldn't get them to work for me because of the IPD.

Now the big question is whether or not to wait and see if Epson does an upgrade soon. I would think they may be due.

Now the big question is whether or not to wait and see if Epson does an upgrade soon. I would think they may be due.
I guess that depends on your situation. Do you still have the moverios? If you do, you're spending 200 to improve your investment. If you're waiting to buy them, then you need to talk to the Epson guys to see if adjustable IPD is on the plan.

If you're buying brand new, you might also look at the 35E glasses, that use your device instead of the 300's android device. This replaces the screen for your phone/tablet and also has flexibility for other systems, laptops, etc. and will also allow you to upgrade your device independently of the glasses.

I guess that depends on your situation. Do you still have the moverios? If you do, you're spending 200 to improve your investment. If you're waiting to buy them, then you need to talk to the Epson guys to see if adjustable IPD is on the plan.

If you're buying brand new, you might also look at the 35E glasses, that use your device instead of the 300's android device. This replaces the screen for your phone/tablet and also has flexibility for other systems, laptops, etc. and will also allow you to upgrade your device independently of the glasses.
I don't still have them. I returned them when I couldn't get them to work for me. I'll check out the 35E. Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckp