DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EU rules from 1 July 2020

TTP

Premium Pilot
Reactions
EU rules, which will start to apply from July 1, 2020, may not be as troublesome as one might think; we have dispensation until July 1, 2022 with our current drones.

We with Mavic 2 Pro already have everything needed, geo-fence, T-Mode from the remote with a physical button, and to update the firmware with information about drones, and its owners must be a fairly simple thing.

We who fly do not have to worry so much about other drones and airplanes, but there is one that I see, a very simple solution for the whole problem of informing others.

DJI starts a collaboration with "Flightradar24", a transaction code that says "Drones" and necessary info:

"How hard can it be!"?

And the problem is solved, whether to give name and address in public it probably no one believes, authorities yes, but the common man who looks in Flighradra24 can see the drone, with flight data, just as we see today's info on the aircraft.

..which would requite an internet and data connection (which isnt availabe on lots of places people fly) and FR24 aren't going to want a ton of unwanted drones cluttering up its maps and servers.

DJI drones already send data down to allow tracking within a short range - its how aeroscope works.

Whether Flightradar24's (FR24) system could be used is probably entirely dependent on whether the drone is equipped with a radar transponder or for new drones if radar transponders can be installed.

We regular users of FR24 do not see the complex picture behind all the data collection needed to the final result.

On the one hand, all data collection via FR24 about 5,000 receiving stations scattered around the globe containing GPS receivers and transponder receivers, plus a Linux computer that sends data over the Internet to FR24 which processes this data together with Google Maps and Planespotters.net, which then transmits it to FR24 clinters ie our computers and mobile phones.

I may be too optimistic but if the hardware in the drone can be fixed, I don't see anyone more competent than FR24 to solve the problem.

ADS-B (which is what FR24 uses) is not a radar transponder. Its a bad idea for drones for various reasons (weight,distance requirements, congestion of an already congested band and so on).
Outside build up areas there isnt much coverage of receiving stations. For the very low altitudes of a drone line of sight is minimal (literally line of sight, if they cant see the drone they cant receive it) so relying on those wouldnt work anyway

Im very familiar with how fr24 works - i am a receiving station which ive built and submit to them (and others).

The only way a system would work would be sending data from the controller app to them via the internet. Which would need a working internet and data connection (similar to the flawed FAA plans).

Its a non-starter of an idea for many reasons.

DJI *already* beacons and has unencrypted, fully readable telemetry if anyone in range wants to receive it.

Hi gnirtS, you are probably right, moreover, FR24's receiving stations are apparently infrequent in the USA.

In two years when our current drones' dispensation expires, the problem is sure to be solved, hopefully to the satisfaction of most.

Until then, we fly our drones as freely as we possibly can.

Unless I am mistaken, EU rules have been postponed to january 2021.

Unless I am mistaken, EU rules have been postponed to january 2021.

Depends on country. UK isn't going to implment until "at least" November.

Don't really matter to the M2 anyway - it'll be legacy regardless.

Depends on country. UK isn't going to implment until "at least" November.

Don't really matter to the M2 anyway - it'll be legacy regardless.

I don't think so... According to the EU rule, both the MA2 and the Mini are affected as the rule is that : "Starting from 1st July 2020" (posponed to January 2021?) "all drone operators shall register themselves before using a drone in the ‘Open’ category, with a weight:
more than 250g or
less then 250g when it is not a toy and it is equipped with a sensor able to capture personal data" (the Mini has a camera).

It seems, for the moment, that the same rule will apply in GB on November 2020...

Well the UK has had mandatory registration for >250g drones since late last year.
The actual EASA rules arent coming in until later this year or maybe next year. Registration is a separate thing to the EASA categories.

Here in the UK, every thing I have read over the last week state that the rules for the UK because of the latest Covid delay come into effect on the 1st November, but there is a 2 year transition period (1st November 2022). Still those without a 2A CofC or better certificate are required to stay 150 meters from uninvolved people after the 1st November this year. It will be almost impossible to be around 491 feet of the nearest person in most cases, unless you live on the top of a mountain, errrr maybe!
Derek

unless you live on the top of a mountain, errrr maybe!
Derek

....and you can bet that mountain is owned by national trust (with a REALLY expensive car park).

November is the *earliest* for the EASA implementation now so no fixed date.

Its more of an issue for people who were considering doing PfCOs - depending on your usage the EASA regs might make it obsolete but nobody is sure. Its a mess.

I cant really see the regs getting adopted until Jan 2021 at a minimum. Theres a further wildcard is the UK isnt going to be in EASA so can do whatever it feels like with the regulations if it chooses to differ.

Yes I agree with you (gnirtS), I am looking around for the GVC courses at present. There are no, as far as I can find, actual details on GVC courses at present. Sure they nearly all say they do one,but no concrete details on line. I have looked at Heliguy, Coptrz and a couple of others. I need some where close to the North East of the UK as travelling long distances is a no go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf