DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Europe flights: Zurich, Italy, Greece, Malta

KeithLa

Reactions
I recently flew my Mavic Pro Platinum in nearly every region I visited on a Europe cruise vacation (hence so many locales).

Unless noted otherwise, all were created in the DJI Go 4 Editor on Android, using either 720p mobile video cache files, or imported 2.7k Mavic source files (which yields much better results).There are some audio dropouts/glitches in some of the videos, which I believe to be rendering bugs in the DJI Go 4 when using 720p video cache files. Strangely, the Zurich video plays flawlessly in DJI Go 4 and from the DJI SkyPixel website.

Absolutely no problems experienced carrying my MPP and accessories through multiple airport, port, and cruise ship security checks. Celebrity Cruise lines permits drones in staterooms, but no flying on the ship or at ports (of course).

I'd be happy to comment further on any of these locations and circumstances. Enjoy!

Umbria, Italy wine country drive, using ActiveTrack (yes, we're in the black car):

Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
Cagliari, Sardinia.jpg

Malta
Marxalokxx, Malta.jpg Marxalokxx, Malta 2.jpg
Mykonos, Greece
Mykonos Super Paradise Beach.jpg
Twiskmolen windmill, North Holland
Netherlands - Het Twiske.jpg
Orvieto hilltop town, Umbria, Italy
Orvieto wide.png

Pyrgo Kallistis, Santorini, Greece
Santorini - Pyrgos.JPG

Castellano Castle, Regello, Tuscany, Italy
Tuscany - Castellano Castle, Regello, Italy.jpg

Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich central edited.jpg
Zurich landscape.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: conchman
Hi, didn't you encounter any unknown restrictions flying in any of these area of these different countries..

No "unknown restrictions", since I researched each flight location thoroughly on this forum and other sites, AirMap, and DJI's Geo map.

Greece is the most complicated, rulewise, but it is legal to fly there without official registration, subject to range and height limits.

Zurich city is legal within a height limit, although the official Swiss airspace map for It is misinterpreted by several people on this forum.

None of my flights were over groups of people or busy roads, and there was no manned aircraft in the vicinity whatsoever.

I recently flew my Mavic Pro Platinum in nearly every region I visited on a Europe cruise vacation (hence so many locales).

Unless noted otherwise, all were created in the DJI Go 4 Editor on Android, using either 720p mobile video cache files, or imported 2.7k Mavic source files (which yields much better results).There are some audio dropouts/glitches in some of the videos, which I believe to be rendering bugs in the DJI Go 4 when using 720p video cache files. Strangely, the Zurich video plays flawlessly in DJI Go 4 and from the DJI SkyPixel website.

Absolutely no problems experienced carrying my MPP and accessories through multiple airport, port, and cruise ship security checks. Celebrity Cruise lines permits drones in staterooms, but no flying on the ship or at ports (of course).

I'd be happy to comment further on any of these locations and circumstances. Enjoy!

Umbria, Italy wine country drive, using ActiveTrack (yes, we're in the black car):

Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
View attachment 46284

Malta
View attachment 46285 View attachment 46286
Mykonos, Greece
View attachment 46287
Twiskmolen windmill, North Holland
View attachment 46288
Orvieto hilltop town, Umbria, Italy
View attachment 46289

Pyrgo Kallistis, Santorini, Greece
View attachment 46290

Castellano Castle, Regello, Tuscany, Italy
View attachment 46291

Zurich, Switzerland
View attachment 46292
View attachment 46293
Could you please help me with registration...I am having a lot of trouble registering drone with an eu country. I want to fly in santorini in 2 weeks and their website is down and need to register with a different country....

Could you please help me with registration...I am having a lot of trouble registering drone with an eu country. I want to fly in santorini in 2 weeks and their website is down and need to register with a different country....
Hi @STEMx412, EU drone laws and requirements have changed since my original post here in 2018. I'm trying to figure it out myself, in order to fly a DJI Mini 2 legally in Italy and Greece in a few months. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to register for Italy on www.d-flight.it.

Hi @STEMx412, EU drone laws and requirements have changed since my original post here in 2018. I'm trying to figure it out myself, in order to fly a DJI Mini 2 legally in Italy and Greece in a few months. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to register for Italy on www.d-flight.it.
I was just in santorini and it was a hassle to do it legally. I registered drone with EU country and after trial and error...Ireland was the easiest to get. Then I got a daily drone insurance just to say I had it and I needed it on the pdf that i submitted. Then I filled out the rest of pdf forms on greece website that has all your information and flight coordinates. Never once ran into an issue there and all of this seemed unnecessary. But....I guess I always knew I was doing it the right way

@STEMx412, thanks for the update, hope you had a great trip. After my last message above, I recalled that I'd already registered in France last summer (on the AlphaTango site), as well as passed the A1/A3 exam, and was able to verify that's all still in effect. So, I believe all I need to do for my Italy/Greece/Hungary trip this month is add my new Mini 2 registration to that France registration profile, and affix my registration number to that new UAV.

As for drone insurance, I thought I'd read it's optional for recreational flying in EU in Italy, and will double check that for Greece. Either way, I'm pretty sure my personal umbrella policy covers drone liabilities, and perhaps also my homeowners policy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada