DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EV adjustments

CanaanBill

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Taking some photos yesterday I ran into a question about changing EV. I set the ISO at 100. In Aperture priority, one uses the right thumbwheel and joystick to change aperture and exposure. So with some given values of those two settings, I tried changing the EV. The effect on the image was obvious, but none of the numbers changed. So what parameters is EV changing? Couldn't be ISO as I could turn EV down, but ISO being already at 100, that couldn't have gone lower. That leaves an adjustment of A and S, but as I said, the values on the screen do not change. What's happening when you change EV?

What's happening when you change EV?
It's going to depend on what settings you have locked down and what's left as changeable.
In your situation, I'd guess it's the shutter speed.
It's a simple matter to look at the exif info for some files to find the answer.

Taking some photos yesterday I ran into a question about changing EV. I set the ISO at 100. In Aperture priority, one uses the right thumbwheel and joystick to change aperture and exposure. So with some given values of those two settings, I tried changing the EV. The effect on the image was obvious, but none of the numbers changed. So what parameters is EV changing? Couldn't be ISO as I could turn EV down, but ISO being already at 100, that couldn't have gone lower. That leaves an adjustment of A and S, but as I said, the values on the screen do not change. What's happening when you change EV?

Something in the exposure triangle (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) had to change - there is simply no other way for the exposure to change. Most if not all DJI drones change the shutter speed when you adjust the EV, and since you were in Aperture priority mode, that is almost certainly what changed in your scenario. Odd that it didn't show you though - maybe you just missed it? It should be showing you what changes.

That's a good suggestion I hadn't thought of...here's a better suggestion: DJI actually show you what's changing.
Again, thanks for the idea.

here's a better suggestion: DJI actually show you what's changing.
Another suggestion is to check again.
If you are up in the air, perhaps the scene/brightness was also changing?
Here's what I see when I test in the same location/same lighting.
i-kGHnJTn-M.jpg

In M, the 4D toggle changes the shutter speed, as you show. Now, change to A or S and you will see the exposure lighten and darken, but neither the shutter speed nor the aperture numbers change.

In M, the 4D toggle changes the shutter speed, as you show. Now, change to A or S and you will see the exposure lighten and darken, but neither the shutter speed nor the aperture numbers change.
Those screenshots are showing the camera set to Aperture Priority as you described in post #1.
Make changes to the EV setting and the shutter speed displayed also changes.
Another sequence shot indoors to ensure no changes in lighting are affecting the results
i-NZKQ57t-M.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting. On my screen that does not happen. Are you running the latest version of the DJI software?

The "EV" is more of a guage than a control.
From the manual:

EV (Exposure Compensation Value): This dial shows you how far away from the recommended settings you are before you take a photo with manual settings. Ideally, you want the EV to read 0 as if it’s +2 then your whites will be far too bright and if it’s -2 then your picture will be very dark. There are some situations where you might want a high or low EV for example if you are trying to take a picture in a dark environment with a slow shutter speed then you will want a higher EV setting. To learn more Aperture, Shutters & EV check out

Heres the page
DJI GO 4 Manual: The Pilot's Handbook - Page 8 of 10 - DJI Guides

Last edited:
I believe in Auto, A, and S, "EV" is actually Exposure Compensation. I am not sure where the compensation is taking place.
You will notice plus and minus buttons on the drop down menu for EV for Auto, A, and S, but they don't appear in manual mode. Then EV is more of a meter.

Scroll down to the Exposure Compensation section of this link.

Drone Camera Settings: All you Need to Know - DJI

Amazing how many people respond to a question with "I think..." Or, "no, I'm not running the same software as you, but that shouldn't matter." And obviously very few understand exposure compensation. Simply put, EV or EC or whatever you choose to call it is a shorthand way of affecting your overall exposure when you have locked down some element of the exposure triangle. If you have locked the aperture and the ISO, adjusting EV will change shutter speed. If you have locked down the shutter speed and the ISO, EV will change the aperture. In the latter scenario, you could choose to change the aperture by selecting the menu, or using the dedicated control, or changing the EV. Further you don't have to remember that you have to open the aperture two stops if you want four times as much light, you can simply select EV+2. EV will, in a very simple way, affect the ISO, shutter speed, or aperture, depending on your settings, and it is handy. As to why would you change the EV for technical reasons, here is one reason: Instead of shooting HDR, with limited pre-set EV changes, I shoot three shots–first EV-0, second EV-2 and then EV+2. Depending on the dynamic range of the shot, I may shoot EV+3 to capture some dark detail. The more one learns of the basics of photography–still or video–the more able one is to create exceptional product. We can get beyond the "I think..." world through study and learning and that is a most rewarding experience.

Amazing how many people respond to a question with "I think..." Or, "no, I'm not running the same software as you, but that shouldn't matter." And obviously very few understand exposure compensation. Simply put, EV or EC or whatever you choose to call it is a shorthand way of affecting your overall exposure when you have locked down some element of the exposure triangle. If you have locked the aperture and the ISO, adjusting EV will change shutter speed. If you have locked down the shutter speed and the ISO, EV will change the aperture. In the latter scenario, you could choose to change the aperture by selecting the menu, or using the dedicated control, or changing the EV. Further you don't have to remember that you have to open the aperture two stops if you want four times as much light, you can simply select EV+2. EV will, in a very simple way, affect the ISO, shutter speed, or aperture, depending on your settings, and it is handy. As to why would you change the EV for technical reasons, here is one reason: Instead of shooting HDR, with limited pre-set EV changes, I shoot three shots–first EV-0, second EV-2 and then EV+2. Depending on the dynamic range of the shot, I may shoot EV+3 to capture some dark detail. The more one learns of the basics of photography–still or video–the more able one is to create exceptional product. We can get beyond the "I think..." world through study and learning and that is a most rewarding experience.

I did a word search of this thread and your post is the only one that has the word "think" in it ;) so I am not sure who you are referring to with that statement.

As for Meta4's comment about software, DJI has never fundamentally changed the way EV comp works with a GO4 App update, so in my opinion his comment was reasonable. It's very unlikely that DJI's latest update stopped reporting shutter speed changes unless it was a one-off bug for the OP.

I do agree though, the more you understand about photography (and videography, which is similar but not identical) can only help. Also, EV comp works in every mode including manual, not just modes where you have locked down some element of the exposure triangle by using shutter or aperture priority.

"I think"..."I believe"... and similar sentence beginnings are all guesses or opinions, not based on knowledge. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and it's OK to let them provide a real answer we can all learn from. While you're technically correct that EV can be used in all shooting modes, that does not suggest that it should be. When shooting 24p video you want to lock the shutter speed to 50 fps, for all normal shooting, and in both video and still photography you want the ISO locked as low as possible. Those are just two examples of where you don't want willy-nilly changes in your exposure triangle. So if you go full automatic and adjust EV, you don't know what the software will decide to adjust. With no controls in place, no doubt if the software is looking for more light it will eventually juice the ISO; perhaps after maxing the aperture, or slowing the shutter speed: any of those changes possibly being anathema to capturing the shot you want. Point being, using EV to change your exposure should only be used when you know what will be changed; then it becomes a viable, readily accessible exposure shortcut.

The "I think" was me and I don't like trying to sound like I know everything and actually went and took the time to look it up. I don't know what your problem is. I was just trying to help and even gave you the links to explain it. Its folks like you that just make me say, why bother. Don't worry, I will no longer post on your threads.

"I think"..."I believe"... and similar sentence beginnings are all guesses or opinions, not based on knowledge. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and it's OK to let them provide a real answer we can all learn from. While you're technically correct that EV can be used in all shooting modes, that does not suggest that it should be. When shooting 24p video you want to lock the shutter speed to 50 fps, for all normal shooting, and in both video and still photography you want the ISO locked as low as possible. Those are just two examples of where you don't want willy-nilly changes in your exposure triangle. So if you go full automatic and adjust EV, you don't know what the software will decide to adjust. With no controls in place, no doubt if the software is looking for more light it will eventually juice the ISO; perhaps after maxing the aperture, or slowing the shutter speed: any of those changes possibly being anathema to capturing the shot you want. Point being, using EV to change your exposure should only be used when you know what will be changed; then it becomes a viable, readily accessible exposure shortcut.
Look Above.

Those who have good answers and advice should feel comfortable posting and helping those in need or those who have questions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx