DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Evening approaches at Preston Marina

Paul Iddon

Reactions
Preston Marina - where the city meets the sea, site of the Albert Edward Dock which opened in 1892 and at the time was the largest single dock in the country. In 1948 the dock was the first to introduce roll-on roll-off tracking, utilising the technique used by tank landing craft during the Second World War.

From its slow beginnings the docks experience a steady growth in trade in the early decades of the 20th century. With the outbreak of the First World War the docks took on a new role, exporting munitions produced by local factories that had been retooled for the war effort.

Over the course of its history the dock handled a wide variety of general cargoes. Incoming vessels would unload raw cotton, timber, china clay, fruit (including bananas and citrus from the West Indies), wheat, horses, cattle, coal, petroleum products, fishmeal, fertilisers, and wood pulp.

From October 1982 to November 1990 the former Isle of Man passenger vessel TSS Manxman was moored at Preston Dock. Originally purchased to be used as a museum and visitor centre, the vessel was converted for use as a floating restaurant and bar. Upon expiration of its mooring contract the vessel was towed to Liverpool.

Music: Water Shows The Hidden Heart by Enya.

Paul.

@Paul Iddon great video ,certainly floated my boat ;););););)

Reactions: Paul Iddon
@Paul Iddon great video ,certainly floated my boat ;););););)

:D Glad you enjoyed it OMM.

I only decided at 9pm to even go there - someone asked about plans for flying, and I though, hell, why not now - it's a nice evening!

Paul.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Preston Marina - where the city meets the sea, site of the Albert Edward Dock which opened in 1892 and at the time was the largest single dock in the country. In 1948 the dock was the first to introduce roll-on roll-off tracking, utilising the technique used by tank landing craft during the Second World War.

From its slow beginnings the docks experience a steady growth in trade in the early decades of the 20th century. With the outbreak of the First World War the docks took on a new role, exporting munitions produced by local factories that had been retooled for the war effort.

Over the course of its history the dock handled a wide variety of general cargoes. Incoming vessels would unload raw cotton, timber, china clay, fruit (including bananas and citrus from the West Indies), wheat, horses, cattle, coal, petroleum products, fishmeal, fertilisers, and wood pulp.

From October 1982 to November 1990 the former Isle of Man passenger vessel TSS Manxman was moored at Preston Dock. Originally purchased to be used as a museum and visitor centre, the vessel was converted for use as a floating restaurant and bar. Upon expiration of its mooring contract the vessel was towed to Liverpool.

Music: Water Shows The Hidden Heart by Enya.

Paul.
Lovely video, with smooth flying, good compositions, and variations of views of the harbor and boats. The Enya track was quite appropriate. I think it was a bit long.

Dale
Miami

Gorgeous, Paul. Lush tranquility with a perfect musical accompaniment. I wish I could replay it in my head at the end of a long tiring day.

Lovely video, with smooth flying, good compositions, and variations of views of the harbor and boats. The Enya track was quite appropriate. I think it was a bit long.

Dale
Miami

Thanks Dale, I chopped a bit out, lol... ;)

Paul.

Gorgeous, Paul. Lush tranquility with a perfect musical accompaniment. I wish I could replay it in my head at the end of a long tiring day.

Cheers Jim.

Enya's music is suited to cinematic content I think. But I'm running out of choices, lol...

PAul.

awesome video!

The pace fits the time of day. Very peaceful. Love the dark, glassy, reflective water. I'd encourage you to use the gimbal more, vary elevation, spotlight/POI. The most creative moves are 3-input. Use forward/backward and/or elevation change in spotlight to dramatic effect. You may want to soften up your gimbal speed and smoothness and EXP settings.

The pace fits the time of day. Very peaceful. Love the dark, glassy, reflective water. I'd encourage you to use the gimbal more, vary elevation, spotlight/POI. The most creative moves are 3-input. Use forward/backward and/or elevation change in spotlight to dramatic effect. You may want to soften up your gimbal speed and smoothness and EXP settings.

Thank you for your thoughts - they will be taken into consideration. If you have the M3P, what are your gimbal settings etc.?

Glad you enjoyed the ride. 🙂

Paul.

Below is a good video on EXP, Pitch, Yaw & Smoothness settings. Yaw should be VERY slow. I never have an instance where I need to change direction quickly and if I did, it would always result in a cut point. Keep in mind that some of your settings in Sport mode will be a little faster to account for the speed of travel.

Even novice fliers can get a lot good shots with simple straight forward/backwards/sideways travel and creative use of the gimbal with elevation change. As you approach a subject of interest, start the move by increasing elevation and begin gimbal down, maintaining axis with the center point of rotation, slowing your forward travel progressively because motion speeds up when crossing the field of view. You can do the same forward move with a descending path, tilting gimbal up as you descend, maintaining axis with the horizon.

With practice, you can do gentle turns to follow landforms, mountain ridges, tree lines, etc. It requires the lightest possible touch, more straight than curve. Allow the drone to get close to trees, mountain ridges and other features where the visual parallax effect is most dramatic.

The easiest way to get really cinematic moves is to utilize Spotlight or POI coupled with forward and backward travel and elevation change. In Spotlight or POI (or follow for a moving subject), maintaining gimbal axis with a subject is automatic, so you can concentrate on timing of left/right rudder and elevation change. These shots are worth a few takes as your composition will be different each time depending on your input. In editing, you'll have a variety of different shots to cut in. They're typically long enough takes to use pieces of them throughout your video without looking redundant. I've noticed that sometimes the Spotlighted subject strays off-center, which can also look interesting. You may, for variety, want to set spotlight away from the obvious centerpoint of a steeple or prominent architectural/natural feature for an intentional off-center composition. I typically use the forward travel descending shots toward the beginning (arrival) and backwards travel ascending shots towards the end (departure).

Analyze your footage in post, playing it back and anticipating movements/inputs that you could have/should have made. It helps develop an intuitive flow when you're out in the field. Remember that if it's a really good shot in the field, it's worth a few takes as you won't know for sure how it came off until you review in post.

Last edited:
Thanks David, I appreciate your input.

Paul.

I just love seeing so many wonderful destinations on this forum. I want pilots to get the most cinematic shots they can of these great subjects. Your video works very, very well just the way it is.

It seems well received.

Always room for improvements for all of us I guess though so I will always strive for more.

Paul.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99