DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Expired registration under Recreational Flyer

Triple r

Reactions
I let my Recreational flyer registration number expire. I now have my part 107 and registered my aircraft on the FAA Drone Zone. I placed the part 107 registration number on my drone. Will this number cover me weather I am flying for fun or for a business? Another words, do I need to update my Recreational Flyer registration also?

Yes. In order to not have it assumed that your operation was commercial, you would also want a current recreational reg. Keep only your 107 reg on your UAV's.

Reactions: Thomas B
I was told by another user on here that I had to register it as both (commercial & hobby) if I wanted to fly it "both ways". Can you please show me in the rules where it says you only need to display part 107 on your drone? Thank you.

I was told by another user on here that I had to register it as both (commercial & hobby) if I wanted to fly it "both ways". Can you please show me in the rules where it says you only need to display part 107 on your drone? Thank you.
The Recreational registration is for the pilot, and his/her unique code is placed on all of their UAV's - if only used for hobby purposes. The Commercial Registration is specific to each UAV, and registers the aircraft, not the pilot. When such aircraft is flown in conjunction with a proper Part 107 operation, it is legal to do so.

I fly both. I have two UAV's. My M2P is registered commercial with its unique number, and since I only fly my MA2 for fun, I have my personal (hobby) registration on it. I also fly the M2P for hobby purposes, and if there was ever a reason to claim a certain flight was hobby and not commercial, I maintain Recreational status for myself.

You can't have two registration numbers on your drone. Just use your 107 registration number.

I let my Recreational flyer registration number expire. I now have my part 107 and registered my aircraft on the FAA Drone Zone. I placed the part 107 registration number on my drone. Will this number cover me weather I am flying for fun or for a business? Another words, do I need to update my Recreational Flyer registration also?
No but u have register each plane you have under 107.

I am a 100% nubie, I have just began studying for my 107, but I also had this question. I could not find anything related to which number I needed to put on my drone. I have seen online someone selling a sticker that has both part 107 and recreational numbers plus a QR code.

thank you for clearing this up for me.

I am a 100% nubie, I have just began studying for my 107, but I also had this question. I could not find anything related to which number I needed to put on my drone. I have seen online someone selling a sticker that has both part 107 and recreational numbers plus a QR code.

thank you for clearing this up for me.
You only put your FAA registration number on your drone. That is what you're given when you register your drone at the FAA Drone Zone. Since you're going to get your 107, go ahead and register it as a 107 UAS. It's $5.

You put the number on the outside of the drone. How you do it is up to you. I use a label printer. Some use a Sharpie. Whatever you use, it needs to last.

Your FAA registration number will start with FA.......

You only put your FAA registration number on your drone. That is what you're given when you register your drone at the FAA Drone Zone. Since you're going to get your 107, go ahead and register it as a 107 UAS. It's $5.

You put the number on the outside of the drone. How you do it is up to you. I use a label printer. Some use a Sharpie. Whatever you use, it needs to last.

Your FAA registration number will start with FA.......
So even though I have not successfuly passed my part 107 exam, I can register the drone under a part 107? That is a little confusing to me. Can someone give more information this?

Thanks,
Scott

So even though I have not successfuly passed my part 107 exam, I can register the drone under a part 107? That is a little confusing to me. Can someone give more information this?

Thanks,
Scott
Yes, there is a very good reason why the FAA doesn't require you to have a 107 to register your drone.

You don't have to be a 107 pilot yet to fly a 107 registered drone, and don't even need to be a 107 to apply for 107 waivers. This is because some larger companies will have one person who takes care of waivers and fleet, and they may not be a Remote Pilot. They are just the "Responsible Person". You would make yourself the Responsible Person on your Drone Zone 107 account.

The majority of Remote Pilots are the Responsible Person on their account. That's because the majority of Remote Pilots are small or medium sized companies, and they take care of the account themselves.

You can fly a 107 registered drone under 44809 (recreational) rules. You can't fly a 44809 registered drone for a 107 operation. So even if you don't have your 107, but are planning on getting it soon, register under 107. Otherwise you have to re-register once you get your 107. It's only $5, but why spend the extra $5?

Hopefully this clears things up Mark. If not, feel free to ask for more clarification.

This is excellent information. Thanks. I would say "One last question", but that would be a lie haha.

Just by looking at the number is there a way to tell a 107 FA number and a FA number for a 44809? Just wondering.

This is excellent information. Thanks. I would say "One last question", but that would be a lie haha.

Just by looking at the number is there a way to tell a 107 FA number and a FA number for a 44809? Just wondering.
No. All numbers start with FA. But the registration paperwork is different for 44809 and 107. And you a carry that with you.

Unfortunately "Bad Information" happens like many things.... Whoever told you that was 100% wrong.

Any aircraft (drone, Cessna, 747) can ONLY have ONE registration legally.

Here is an exert re: Part 107 Registration vs Recreational (44809) from the FAA's website:

• Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107.
  • Drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations.

Here is the page I copied the above from:

Unfortunately "Bad Information" happens like many things.... Whoever told you that was 100% wrong.

Any aircraft (drone, Cessna, 747) can ONLY have ONE registration legally.

Here is an exert re: Part 107 Registration vs Recreational (44809) from the FAA's website:

• Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107.
  • Drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations.

Here is the page I copied the above from:
Apparently the robot at uashelp faa said that with remote ID modules for 250g drones that if you want to fly recreationally on your 107 drone without the retrofit module, you'd have to register both ways. Government can't make up their mind.

Reactions: BigAl07
Apparently the robot at uashelp faa said that with remote ID modules for 250g drones that if you want to fly recreationally on your 107 drone without the retrofit module, you'd have to register both ways. Government can't make up their mind.
Please forward that email to me. That is incorrect. You can't register your drone two different ways.

Please forward that to [email protected]. I'll make sure it's straightened out.

Please forward that email to me. That is incorrect. You can't register your drone two different ways.

I read it on one of the forums and they pasted that email. I have to go back and look for it.
I just remember somebody asking the faa about the remote ID modules and how would it be and they posted the response.

Ok, here it is @Vic Moss

Ok...here is the gist of what I was told by the folks at [email protected].

1. A sub-250g drone is not required to transmit RID when flying for recreational purposes.

2. A sub-250g drone that is registered for Part 107 must transmit RID when flying recreationally unless:

a. The sub-250g drone is registered for recreational purposes in addition to its existing commercial registration (dual registration).

b. The add-on broadcast module is able to be removed from the drone when flying recreationally. That makes sense because if the module cannot be removed then the drone likely weighs 250g+ which requires active RID.

c. The drone is labeled with both the commercial and recreational registration numbers.

The surprising item, for me, I did not know that a drone can simultaneously have dual (recreation and commercial) registration numbers.

Why did I want to know this? Well, I fly 90% recreationally and I would prefer not to broadcast my location so as to keep all the Nosey Nellies away.

@66427cobra , I need to see the signature line from that email so I can put it in the right hands. Please forward that to me at [email protected]

@66427cobra , I need to see the signature line from that email so I can put it in the right hands. Please forward that to me at [email protected]
Just forwarded the email chain to you. It will come from a different email account with the @snet.net domain in case it ends up in junk mail.

If you find any of the info to be incorrect please let all of us know. Hate to think I've misled anyone based on bad info.

Just forwarded the email chain to you. It will come from a different email account with the @snet.net domain in case it ends up in junk mail.

If you find any of the info to be incorrect please let all of us know. Hate to think I've misled anyone based on bad info.
Got it, thanks!

~V~

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998