DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exposure settings with the Polar Pro Filters

jbar55

Reactions
Hi everyone - I haven't flown in a few months so I forgot the details on the Polar Pro filter settings.

Can a video expert please chime in and remind me what settings I should use? Don't we want the frame rate to be half the shutter speed for the smoothest video? I think the idea is if you shoot at 30 FPS, you want the shutter speed to be at 1/60th? Anyway, if you can send me the recommend shutter speed, ISO, etc settings with the various Polar Pro filters, that would be great.

Thanks.

Anyway, if you can send me the recommend shutter speed, ISO, etc settings with the various Polar Pro filters, that would be great.

This isn't really possible as it's not a static relationship. But, Yes. Frame rate = 2X shutter speed, ISO<800 (I try to keep mine <400), WB as appropriate, then put on the ND filters to get your EV as neutral as possible. Mess around with color balance (D-log, D-cinelike, etc) for the effect you want. I use D-cinelike but others like to shoot flatter in D-log for the tones and then correct the color in their editor. Mostly it's experimentation because you'll change things to get the effect you want. Look on YouTube as there are 2n+1 vids on the different effects you can get by varying the different parameters.

Oh,yeah, I forgot. Polar Pro has an app where you plug in your parameters and it tells you which filter to use.

Reactions: jbar55 and Guker
This isn't really possible as it's not a static relationship. But, Yes. Frame rate = 2X shutter speed, ISO<800 (I try to keep mine <400), WB as appropriate, then put on the ND filters to get your EV as neutral as possible. Mess around with color balance (D-log, D-cinelike, etc) for the effect you want. I use D-cinelike but others like to shoot flatter in D-log for the tones and then correct the color in their editor. Mostly it's experimentation because you'll change things to get the effect you want. Look on YouTube as there are 2n+1 vids on the different effects you can get by varying the different parameters.

Oh,yeah, I forgot. Polar Pro has an app where you plug in your parameters and it tells you which filter to use.

Thanks. No, that is what I was looking for. I use the Polar filter that allows me to shoot at a 60th and have the EV close to neutral. I kind of remember now.

I can't say I noticed that my film footage was that much smoother when I did it this way, vs just shooting normally? Is it an obvious difference? It seems like it is always smooth with the Mavic.

Is it an obvious difference? It seems like it is always smooth with the Mavic.

Depends on what you're shooting. Moving things - like water - will look more natural. If you go with a faster SS they look like a bunch of stills strung together. Which can be a neat effect. For landscapes shot from a slow moving drone you probably wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference.

Reactions: jbar55

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone