DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA to UAS Violation Enforcement for December 2021 (hopefully one of many)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not a simplification of 44809, heres a few questions I had about.
1- their definition of rec flying.
2- CBO?
What is it, where to find it.
7- why not just say Trust exam?
8- no mention of 250 gr or less excemption.

I think 44809 should be more detailed, not less.

Reactions: BigAl07
A slight veering into a related lane. And I wasn't complaining about the recreational rules but rejecting the idea that they are easy or quite simple and that recreational pilots should be penalized for 107 violations if the violate some provision of the recreational rules. I mean, this is all so easy.

One element of getting your recreational, part 107 and part 61 license is interpreting sectional charts. Not so easy. Other difficulties (based on the number of discussions I've seen on this forum) are what actually constitutes recreational flying? The AMA website references altitude restrictions and says "Altitude: Remember, you must generally fly below 400 feet in uncontrolled airspace to stay legal." Using the word "generally" leaves the impression that there are exceptions. If there are exceptions what are they? What are TFR's and where do you go to find them? What other knowledge is required to decipher them?

I could go on but the idea that fulfilling the new requirements for recreational flying are easy is very much counter to the discussions I see on this and other forums. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Too many view the issue in hindsight discounting the difficulties after the fact.
It's like trying to nail jello to a wall discussing this with you ....as long as you allow yourself to constantly move the goal post you are going to find everything in life difficult.....you started out with your objections to the recreational flying rules and you have gone all over the spectrum with it ...you have referenced a third party website again, the AMA website, and its apparently erroneous information......you seem to have a problem reading the sectionals ...what is so hard about them?...they even have all the instructions and keys on them...at this point all I can say is that I am sorry for the difficulties you are having with this matter, and as with anything...keep at it and you will eventually get it...at this point...moderators please...this poor horse has been beaten to death...please put it out of its misery

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Btw, what percentage of 107 pilots are completing their recurrence requirements so the can continue to legally fly under 107? I don't have the most recent numbers but one article I read a couple of years ago had it at less than 50% (correct me if I'm wrong). If it's all so darn easy why are less than half of those that got their initial 107 maintaining currency. And yes, I'm current.

Guess that the single mot common reason I've seen for not getting Part 107 Recurrency? Any ideas?

LACK OF ENFORCEMENT Proceedings against violators...... Guess what the entire premise of this thread is? Public Notification of FAA UAS Violations Enforcement!! See the connection?

Guess what the 2nd most common reason for not getting Part 107 Recurrency? Cost/
hassles with going to a testing facility to get Recurrent just like the original Part 107. Now Part 107 Recurrency is ONLINE and FREE just like it has been for Part 61 since day one. See the connection?

What I don't understand is how/WHY you've taken the argument that ~44809 is too complicated (yes those 8 rules are brutal btw LOL) and now dragging the conversation into how Part 107 is sooooo complicated that fewer and fewer RPIC are getting their Recurrency.

I personally feel like that Part 107 (and all those rules etc) are a good fit for the most basic of UAS flight and those wanting to operate at a higher level than "Hobby/Recreational" should have a more stringent testing phase along with Flight Demonstration as part of the licensing process. As it is right now, you could take the test and pass it without even ever have seen a UAS/Drone in person let alone flown it.

I highly suspect we are going to see more proof us FAA UAS Enforcement in the coming months as more investigation wrap up and the details are released for us to share.

Reactions: dronerdave
It's like trying to nail jello to a wall discussing this with you ....as long as you allow yourself to constantly move the goal post you are going to find everything in life difficult.....you started out with your objections to the recreational flying rules and you have gone all over the spectrum with it ...you have referenced a third party website again, the AMA website, and its apparently erroneous information......you seem to have a problem reading the sectionals ...what is so hard about them?...they even have all the instructions and keys on them...at this point all I can say is that I am sorry for the difficulties you are having with this matter, and as with anything...keep at it and you will eventually get it...at this point...moderators please...this poor horse has been beaten to death...please put it out of its misery
Wrong, but I'll forgive you because it's a complicated issue. I started with rejecting the idea that a recreational pilot should be punished not only for violating recreational rules but violating part 107 rules. I then rejected the idea that the recreational rules are "simple" and gave examples of the confusion that exist with both recreational and commercial rules.

As for "you seem to have a problem read the sectionals", wrong again. I've been reading sectionals for over 30 years. I did say learning to read sections is not easy, simple or a piece of cake. The proof of that is the considerable amount of time training materials spend helping students read and decipher sectional charts. I apologize if I confused you but it is a complicated issue.

Reactions: Tim40
Guess that the single mot common reason I've seen for not getting Part 107 Recurrency? Any ideas?

LACK OF ENFORCEMENT Proceedings against violators...... Guess what the entire premise of this thread is? Public Notification of FAA UAS Violations Enforcement!! See the connection?

Guess what the 2nd most common reason for not getting Part 107 Recurrency? Cost/
hassles with going to a testing facility to get Recurrent just like the original Part 107. Now Part 107 Recurrency is ONLINE and FREE just like it has been for Part 61 since day one. See the connection?

What I don't understand is how/WHY you've taken the argument that ~44809 is too complicated (yes those 8 rules are brutal btw LOL) and now dragging the conversation into how Part 107 is sooooo complicated that fewer and fewer RPIC are getting their Recurrency.

I personally feel like that Part 107 (and all those rules etc) are a good fit for the most basic of UAS flight and those wanting to operate at a higher level than "Hobby/Recreational" should have a more stringent testing phase along with Flight Demonstration as part of the licensing process. As it is right now, you could take the test and pass it without even ever have seen a UAS/Drone in person let alone flown it.

I highly suspect we are going to see more proof us FAA UAS Enforcement in the coming months as more investigation wrap up and the details are released for us to share.
I'm surprised at that reasoning for not keeping current because it means a significant percentage of folks that got their 107 don't think self-enforcement of the rules matter (lead by example).

I didn't take the position that 44809 is "too" complicated. I do reject the idea that is easy and a piece of cake for someone starting out with no background in aviation. Again, if it was easy everyone would do it. Go back and try to remember the first time you saw a sectional chart. Did you instantly understand what all the symbols, text and colors represented? How long was it hard before it became easy? We too easily forget the challenges as years of experience pile up. That's one of the problems with legislators and regulators.

***** Unfortunately THREAD CLOSE****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929