DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC or CE? Why is this a controversy?

sdcinvan

Reactions
Hello all,

I just received my new Mavic Mini Pro 3 today and I am so excited for taking it on it's first flight.

But before I register, and buy the DJI Refresh service, I need to understand this whole FCC vs CE contraversy. Yes, I understand what they mean in regards to power output being less to comply with other airspace regulations, but from what I am now understanding is that DJI only makes one hardware model, this is from DJI, " Thank you for your inquiry.DJI Mini 3 Pro has only one version of the hardware. the aircraft will automatically switch to the corresponding FCC and CE depending on the current country."

But why are some people complaining about their Mavic Mini Pro 3 drones being hardware locked in CE mode only?

Someone told me to look at my controller for a FCC mark, but if it only has a CE mark, that means my drone will have lower power. I looked, my controller only has a CE mark. Now I am kind of confused... who should I believe?

Thanks so much.

DJI Mavic Mini Pro 3.jpg

the output power of the RC is governed ,by where it is being flown in the world ,to comply with the permitted output power for that type of device ,
it sets that output from the GPS coordinates it receives,depending on where the drone is being flown

Reactions: db4476
Yes, I understand what they mean in regards to power output being less to comply with other airspace regulations
It's actually radio frequency spectrum management regulations, rather than airspace regulations.
Someone told me to look at my controller for a FCC mark, but if it only has a CE mark, that means my drone will have lower power. I looked, my controller only has a CE mark. Now I am kind of confused... who should I believe?
"Someone" is confused and giving you misinformation.
What DJI advised is correct.
All controllers, sold everywhere have the CE mark, because the European regulations say they have to, to show they comply with European regulations.
There is no requirement for an FCC mark, but every new DJI controller and drone model has to be pass FCC compliance testing to be approved for sale in the USA.

sdsinvan…I'm in Vancouver too. I have the same markings. My Mini 3 Pro operates perfectly…very smooth. It’s range is very good in the city (outskirts). Two things. Make sure your transmission tab on your RC shows and allows ‘DUAL’ mode with the options to go manual or auto. There are some M3Ps that have had control board issues as did mine (replaced on warranty) where the transmission tab only showed auto highlighted with no 4.5 or 5.8ghz displaying.

Everything is good now. The second thing I and many other M3P owners observe is, you MUST keep your RC pointed towards the drone. Don’t fall asleep at the controls…it’s very directional dependent regarding maximum signal.

Go for a test flight…good luck 🍀

Reactions: sdcinvan
It's actually radio frequency spectrum management regulations, rather than airspace regulations.

"Someone" is confused and giving you misinformation.
What DJI advised is correct.
All controllers, sold everywhere have the CE mark, because the European regulations say they have to, to show they comply with European regulations.
There is no requirement for an FCC mark, but every new DJI controller and drone model has to be pass FCC compliance testing to be approved for sale in the USA.
Actually, there is an FCC requirement for electronics to show "This device complies with part 15 FCC rules".

*Edit* On the back of the controller in mice type it does say that, but when I look at my current phone it is absent, while an older phone has it on the back. Perhaps there are exceptions to labeling.

Last edited:
sdsinvan…I'm in Vancouver too. I have the same markings. My Mini 3 Pro operates perfectly…very smooth. It’s range is very good in the city (outskirts). Two things. Make sure your transmission tab on your RC shows and allows ‘DUAL’ mode with the options to go manual or auto. There are some M3Ps that have had control board issues as did mine (replaced on warranty) where the transmission tab only showed auto highlighted with no 4.5 or 5.8ghz displaying.

Everything is good now. The second thing I and many other M3P owners observe is, you MUST keep your RC pointed towards the drone. Don’t fall asleep at the controls…it’s very directional dependent regarding maximum signal.

Go for a test flight…good luck 🍀

Ha... I could have guessed you are my "neighbour" by your username.
Thanks for the tip, YVRGUY. ;)
Incidentally, I had a close call by almost missing my opportunity to purchase the DJI Care Refresh. When I received the drone, powered it up, and registered it, I skipped the Care Refresh option initially until I heard back from this community regarding my FCC vs CE confusion. But then I had to travel for two days. Oh no... the s/n is tied to the new controller so there was nothing with the drone's s/n on my phone, and w/o the serial number, I could not buy the Refresh. :(
I just got it today, it must have been just a few hours before the 48-hour cutoff. Whew!

Reactions: Rchawks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143