DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First forced landing experience.

Boyce555

Reactions
Not very nice! ? luckily for me i was only 400 feet away when it initiated. I was 1000 feet out doing a hyperlapse, thought i just had enough time to get the shot!
It was returning to home when it suddenly stopped and wanted to land!
I was able to push forward but couldn't stop the decent. Luckly just made it back!
Lesson learnt.....forced landing kicks in at 10%!

I think I have seen that the throttle has to be at least 50% just to hold altitude, I have held the drone aloft a couple of times, just for the experience, the lateral control seems woolly during it.

This reminds me of an experience I had a few months back. After being in sport mode for a while and returning back up the river, my MA2 at about 1/4 mile away decided to start landing now. Luckily I was able to steer it on to some vacant land along the bank of the river where it landed safely. As it came down I lost the signal as it went below LOS. Then after a mad scramble I was able to find it in the brush using the "Find my drone" capability. The drone had since powered down due to the low battery. It was about 30' from where the app said it should be.

My lesson learned from that experience is to beware of the use of Sport mode will drain the battery faster than what you may assume while operating in Normal mode.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
That was a close one!
I believe it is under forced landing that the RTH routing alters on a diagonal descent as it tries to reach RTH point to reserve power needed for straight down overhead descent. This diagonal descent of course could be disastrous. I had it in mind that 5% was the forced to land threshold; but youre saying 10%?

I believe it is under forced landing that the RTH routing alters on a diagonal descent as it tries to reach RTH point to reserve power needed for straight down overhead descent. This diagonal descent of course could be disastrous. I had it in mind that 5% was the forced to land threshold; but youre saying 10%?
Yes i had it at 10%.

The diagonal descent will not happen under conditions that most flyers will use. It only happens if you are 90 meters HIGHER than the RTH set, and 290 meters higher than the home point (so, unless flying uphill, illegal in many countries). In that case, there's nothing "disastrous", as it is coming down to the RTH altitude you've set.

10%

I had an experience flying this month on the coast. It was just hovering and started telling me it was landing while it was out over the ocean. Fortunately, I was able to gain control and keep flying. It happened 4 times in all before I landed. There was a marine layer in the bay and I just assumed it may have been confused or affected by moisture. I uploaded my flight data to phantom help but it doesn't show why it happened... just the status "forced landing". How do I determine the reason?

I had an experience flying this month on the coast. It was just hovering and started telling me it was landing while it was out over the ocean. Fortunately, I was able to gain control and keep flying. It happened 4 times in all before I landed. There was a marine layer in the bay and I just assumed it may have been confused or affected by moisture. I uploaded my flight data to phantom help but it doesn't show why it happened... just the status "forced landing". How do I determine the reason?
Usually loss of signal. But in PhantmHelp, download the CSV. There will be a column with messages and warnings.

A question, does anyone know how the "power" display in the lower left corner of Boblui's video, post 2, is obtained when using a Mavic 2 Pro? I am fairly sure I have seen the attitude display but I do not remember the power bit nor the illuminated outer rim.

Reactions: eEridani
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242