DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First outing with MA2 - Wow, where have you been all my life! (12MP vs 48MP image comparison)

WildcatDave

Reactions
I could not be more happy with this little monster. I am coming from the Yuneec Typhoon-H (hex-copter). It is huge, heavy, slow, eats battery - but otherwise a nice kit. It's for sale cheap if someone wants the beast let me know, I can send details. I will be using the MA2 moving forward.

The MA2 went from in the case to zipping around in 90 seconds using the included controller and an old Galaxy S7. I could not believe how easy the whole process of getting to flight was (I had already done the registration and software/firmware bits at the house). The auto launch button, who does not love that?!?

I took some pics (DNG & JPEG at 12MP and "48"MP to compare, as well as a bunch of video and testing the fancy built-in fly modes. Impressed top to bottom with the app and the hardware.

I also (since I bought the insurance) did a "let's hit a tree" test. Very cool how it beeps slowly, then faster, then faster still with controller vibration, then just parked itself in front of the tree (as I have it set that way in the app) and refused to budge any closer than about 5 or 6 feet. Hopefully I won't ever be needing those extra props included in the Fly More Kit.

Also while testing I got the red text warning and a buzz that some manned aircraft was near... then about 3 seconds later I heard a faraway jet engine.... looked around, and off in the distance was a huge commercial jet headed towards me. How awesome is that - it new before I did!

Here is one screen grab using the DNG (RAW) files from Lightroom showing a comparison of 12MP vs "48"MP. Straight off the card (-1/3eV set in the DJI app as recommended by many). You can see for yourself there is significantly more detail (bicycle and tree branches especially). Not a 48MP sensor more, maybe a ~24MP sensor more. If you look in the top right thumbnail you can see the small white box where the comparison is looking. This also shows decent edge sharpness for the lens on the camera. The 12MP image is at 8x (800%) and the 48MP image is at 4x (400%) to help see the difference better. It is noticeable that the 48MP image has some higher "sharpening?" applied. So even though these are supposed to be RAW files, the DJI processor is baking in some sharpening or other processing. FWIW the image clarity is much greater. So call it what you want DJI, but it works for me.

I have some more images (closer up trees, mountains, rooftops, I can post if you want). Or JPEG vs DNG, let me know...

Attachments

• MA2 12MP vs 48MP.jpg
    MA2 12MP vs 48MP.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 224
I took my first flight yesterday and went out again today. Love this thing! Coming from a Syma I trained on for over a year.

I'm using an iPad and ythe screen size is great but it can be unwieldly at times. May have to switch to an iPad mini when I save up for it.

The camera is great! But what I love is the stability I had in today's brisk winds, the speed and the control. Really looking fotward to an outing where U can fly at greater distance and height.

Thanks for sharing the 12 vs 48 shots.

DJI has never that I know of produced real raw files. Hey are all TIFFs, which are high resolution, but have color and luminosity as well as lens corrections baked in.

Reactions: hiflyer201
The similarity between the raw file and the JPEG in Lightroom shows that there is obviously some adjustments made. however I don't think there was any lens correction as when I would switch between the JPEG and the DNG file I could see some corner bending happening. so they may leave that untouched or just not adjusted as much.

every major company tinkers with their DNG files whether they say they do or not. I notice this on my Nikon DSLRs and my Panasonic cameras as well. That being said, the image quality out of the MA2 is exemplary for what you are paying. it will definitely do the trick for me. I know the sensor is small so anytime you bump the iso it's going to get pretty noisy, it's even evident in the ISO 100 files. however I will only be using the drone in daylight to shoot commercial and residential properties, so I will be at ISO 100 all the time. it should be a nonpoint for me.

Probably true, but encoding to TIFF adds a whole new constraint. The de-bayered data is no longer available.

DJI has never that I know of produced real raw files. Hey are all TIFFs, which are high resolution, but have color and luminosity as well as lens corrections baked in.
Still better than JPGs

I could not be more happy with this little monster. I am coming from the Yuneec Typhoon-H (hex-copter). It is huge, heavy, slow, eats battery - but otherwise a nice kit. It's for sale cheap if someone wants the beast let me know, I can send details. I will be using the MA2 moving forward.

The MA2 went from in the case to zipping around in 90 seconds using the included controller and an old Galaxy S7. I could not believe how easy the whole process of getting to flight was (I had already done the registration and software/firmware bits at the house). The auto launch button, who does not love that?!?

I took some pics (DNG & JPEG at 12MP and "48"MP to compare, as well as a bunch of video and testing the fancy built-in fly modes. Impressed top to bottom with the app and the hardware.

I also (since I bought the insurance) did a "let's hit a tree" test. Very cool how it beeps slowly, then faster, then faster still with controller vibration, then just parked itself in front of the tree (as I have it set that way in the app) and refused to budge any closer than about 5 or 6 feet. Hopefully I won't ever be needing those extra props included in the Fly More Kit.

Also while testing I got the red text warning and a buzz that some manned aircraft was near... then about 3 seconds later I heard a faraway jet engine.... looked around, and off in the distance was a huge commercial jet headed towards me. How awesome is that - it new before I did!

Here is one screen grab using the DNG (RAW) files from Lightroom showing a comparison of 12MP vs "48"MP. Straight off the card (-1/3eV set in the DJI app as recommended by many). You can see for yourself there is significantly more detail (bicycle and tree branches especially). Not a 48MP sensor more, maybe a ~24MP sensor more. If you look in the top right thumbnail you can see the small white box where the comparison is looking. This also shows decent edge sharpness for the lens on the camera. The 12MP image is at 8x (800%) and the 48MP image is at 4x (400%) to help see the difference better. It is noticeable that the 48MP image has some higher "sharpening?" applied. So even though these are supposed to be RAW files, the DJI processor is baking in some sharpening or other processing. FWIW the image clarity is much greater. So call it what you want DJI, but it works for me.

I have some more images (closer up trees, mountains, rooftops, I can post if you want). Or JPEG vs DNG, let me know...
Looks to me that the 12MP is simply underexposed compared to the 48MP, supported by the difference in the shutter speeds. Not a fair comparison. Need to shoot both images at the same shutter speed.

yeah the meter is slightly less exposed on the 48 megapixel shot. it's a small adjustment in lightroom, nbd. if you don't see the difference in image quality then I hope you don't drive a car.

yeah the meter is slightly less exposed on the 48 megapixel shot. it's a small adjustment in lightroom, nbd. if you don't see the difference in image quality then I hope you don't drive a car.
Actually, it's the 12MP image that is clearly underexposed. Underexposing an image creates noise on a tiny 1/2 inch sensor that degrades image quality which cannot be recovered in LR by boosting exposure. Shoot them both at the exact same settings for a fairer comparison, and don't deliberately underexpose by shooting at -.3EV, which only exacerbates the problem. On a properly exposed image, the difference will be hard to discern in most cases, and the 48MP will actually be worse in some cases, based upon everyone else's proper tests.

Actually, it's the 12MP image that is clearly underexposed. Underexposing an image creates noise on a tiny 1/2 inch sensor that degrades image quality which cannot be recovered in LR by boosting exposure. Shoot them both at the exact same settings for a fairer comparison, and don't deliberately underexpose by shooting at -.3EV, which only exacerbates the problem. On a properly exposed image, the difference will be hard to discern in most cases, and the 48MP will actually be worse in some cases, based upon everyone else's proper tests.
yeah you're right on the underexposure, I meant the other one. I shouldn't reply at midnight when I'm half asleep. anyway point is valid: the 48 megapixel image crushes the 12 megapixel. not sure why you're arguing this fact. it doesn't take much to recognize which image looks significantly more detailed. running around arguing exposure differences that are that minor is silly. The noise difference from a third of exposure difference at ISO 100 even on a small sensor is negligible. I've been professionally shooting for over 15 years, let's not get into a bicker over a tiny detail that is for the most part irrelevant please.

also, that wasn't the point of the display in the first place, it was to show that the 48 megapixel images, while not actually 48 megapixels in detail, definitely have more detail than the 12 megapixel. also I have multiple other images at the matched exposures. I can show those if for some reason you are having trouble seeing the difference in detail on this comparison. let me know...

Great choice on the Air 2! I have had mine since May and the reliability, build quality, flight stability, stationary hover and built in features are excellent. You will find many more uses for it, beyond just relaxation. And don’t forget that free upgrade with the digital zoom on selected video modes! It all works for me! Safe flying and good luck in 2021. Cheers ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone