DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Post: Too high contrast (?) in snow using ND32 filter.

david.saltriver

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in drone filming and took my Mavic Pro Platinum out in the snow to film us. I ended up with some (in my eyes) good material, but some scenes (especially when filmed against the sun) where lacking details.
Somewhere in a video I saw that one should select D-Log as color mode to preserve all details. However, I used D-Cinelike.

Is that my (only) mistake? Or do you have other suggestions.
I used an ND32 filter with automatic camera settings (I find it too hard to adjust the settings for every shot, and the kids don't like standing around), I think the drone went for something like 1/100 - 1/200 shutter speed. Don't remember the ISO.

My Questions:

• Would using D-Log (and enriching the colors later in i.e. DaVinci Resolve editor) prevented the loss of detail?
  • Is there any chance to get some detail back in DaVinci Resolve?
  • Is there a way to check the used Camera-Settings (per frame) in the video file later on? Or from any logs?
  • I (accidentally) filmed with 24fps (NTSC). Somewhere I read that on European hardware that can lead to stutter during pans (which I see). Is there any way to correct that?
Thank you for reading!

I tried to make a sample video to show the lack of detail. In some other Scenes it's even worse. The whole face is basically a pink circle without eyes.

Best,
David

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in drone filming and took my Mavic Pro Platinum out in the snow to film us. I ended up with some (in my eyes) good material, but some scenes (especially when filmed against the sun) where lacking details.
Somewhere in a video I saw that one should select D-Log as color mode to preserve all details. However, I used D-Cinelike.

Is that my (only) mistake? Or do you have other suggestions.
I used an ND32 filter with automatic camera settings (I find it too hard to adjust the settings for every shot, and the kids don't like standing around), I think the drone went for something like 1/100 - 1/200 shutter speed. Don't remember the ISO.

My Questions:

• Would using D-Log (and enriching the colors later in i.e. DaVinci Resolve editor) prevented the loss of detail?
  • Is there any chance to get some detail back in DaVinci Resolve?
  • Is there a way to check the used Camera-Settings (per frame) in the video file later on? Or from any logs?
  • I (accidentally) filmed with 24fps (NTSC). Somewhere I read that on European hardware that can lead to stutter during pans (which I see). Is there any way to correct that?
Thank you for reading!

I tried to make a sample video to show the lack of detail. In some other Scenes it's even worse. The whole face is basically a pink circle without eyes.

Best,
David
D-cinelike is the best for MP1 in my opinion. I do not like dlog on the MP1 at all.

Just turn your contrast settings down and correct in post. Shoot in 4K and down sample if needed. Your wide shoot looks ok but you are under exposed compared to your bright background and that’s why you are loosing detail. By lowering your contrast settings in camera you will equalize your histogram better and then you can use masks to selectively control exposure and contrast.

Reactions: david.saltriver
To those who may know: Wouldnt an ND filter help since he could leave the shutter open longer? And doesnt leaving the shutter open longer give you smoother video with a frame rate in range of about 30?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka