DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 First Water Trailhead, Superstition Mtns

DSRT_VLTR

Reactions
Played hooky from work on a Tuesday afternoon because the forecast was ideal flying conditions: Temp around 80F, a light breeze & partly cloudy. I decided I wanted to fly dangerously into the Superstition Wilderness from the border.

By the time I drove the rough gravel road 2 1/2 miles from SR88 to the First Water Trailhead, the sky full of beautiful curly cirrus clouds was gone & the wind was gusting 15-20mph!

Common sense should have told me to turn around & go back, but I didn't abuse the suspension on my Kia sedan for nothing! I wound-up only flying for a few minutes at 20m altitude before landing because the wind was blowing my poor Mini 2 all over the place!

I was amazed to see all these hikers out on a Tuesday afternoon. Real Desert Rats hike in the middle of the week!

Attachments

• selfie 51.JPG
    selfie 51.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230328_133048-01.jpeg
    20230328_133048-01.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230328_131412-01.jpeg
    20230328_131412-01.jpeg
    9.8 MB · Views: 44
It's always good to get away and relax. Looks like a good spot for both :)

You just need to be prepared. From this trailhead to Weaver's Needle (a genuine volcanic plug about the height of Devil's Tower in Wyoming) is 19 shadeless & waterless miles.

Played hooky from work on a Tuesday afternoon because the forecast was ideal flying conditions: Temp around 80F, a light breeze & partly cloudy. I decided I wanted to fly dangerously into the Superstition Wilderness from the border.

By the time I drove the rough gravel road 2 1/2 miles from SR88 to the First Water Trailhead, the sky full of beautiful curly cirrus clouds was gone & the wind was gusting 15-20mph!

Common sense should have told me to turn around & go back, but I didn't abuse the suspension on my Kia sedan for nothing! I wound-up only flying for a few minutes at 20m altitude before landing because the wind was blowing my poor Mini 2 all over the place!

I was amazed to see all these hikers out on a Tuesday afternoon. Real Desert Rats hike in the middle of the week!
I always go past the 1st water trailhead sign. I thought taking off from a trailhead was a no-no... Please correct me if I am wrong.....

Motor vehicles are not allowed in Federal Wildernesses. I figure I am legal if I launch from a parking lot.
You are legal to launch from the parking area but you cannot fly into the wilderness area itself.

There is a 2000' above ground level flight floor for all types of aircraft over a Federal Wilderness area.

The FAA already did - all manned aircraft pilots had to know that in order to get their license.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000