DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Flight at the Battleship North Carolina today

Big Bro

is watching you!
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Had some fun out at the Battleship NC. The wind has really been ripping around here and died down a little today, so it was nice to get out and fly today. The Battleship lies on the flight path of runways 06 and 24 of KILM so you are height restricted, but if you're 107 certified you can fly the area. State grants permission to launch from their park if you follow some guidelines: https://www.battleshipnc.com/wp-con...ip-North-Carolina-Drone-Overflight-Policy.pdf

If your ever near Wilmington, NC it's a kool place to fly:

Thanks for sharing. Been there a couple of times (but didn't have my drone). It's a well maintained memorial of the ship and its heritage. Also, thanks for the guideline link... that's one of the best I've seen; summary: flight is okay if the follow the FAA rules and use common sense and common courtesy!!

Reactions: Big Bro
Thanks for sharing. Been there a couple of times (but didn't have my drone). It's a well maintained memorial of the ship and its heritage. Also, thanks for the guideline link... that's one of the best I've seen; summary: flight is okay if the follow the FAA rules and use common sense and common courtesy!!
Yeah, I wish more state and federal lands had this approach, instead of a knee jerk reaction to ban drones all together. I've found that most people have gotten used to drones and really don't pay much attention to them as long as your not doing something stupid, like buzzing their dogs or flying over their heads. You nailed it with "use common sense and common courtesy!"

Reactions: mereflyer
Being an old Navy ship driver, I loved that. It's amazing to think about all the systems that have to work together seamlessly, and the people required to do that work. Nice job.
You're certainly right there! I've toured the inside of the Battleship and it's amazing all the machinery onboard. It was a floating city with everything you needed, from a barbershop to a full on sickbay ready to do surgery. What amazes most is the armament. The whole ship was centered around being able to store powder, load and fire those 16" guns. They had a range of 21 miles with a standard load which was 540 pounds of gun powder. Can you imagine what that was like when it was shot?

Reactions: mereflyer
You're certainly right there! I've toured the inside of the Battleship and it's amazing all the machinery onboard. It was a floating city with everything you needed, from a barbershop to a full on sickbay ready to do surgery. What amazes most is the armament. The whole ship was centered around being able to store powder, load and fire those 16" guns. They had a range of 21 miles with a standard load which was 540 pounds of gun powder. Can you imagine what that was like when it was shot?
Actually, I can. I had a friend to went to the USS MISSOURI for a short assignment. He was walking down one of the passageways when he heard an alarm go off. He had no idea what it was. Shortly after that the bulkhead (wall) come over and knocked him down. The alarm was to warn everyone they were about to shoot a broadside. When they did the whole ship moved a few feet through the water and you better hold onto something.

Nice video. I often fly around the USS New Jersey which is tied up on the Delaware River in Camden NJ. They certainly are good subjects to film and photograph.

Nice video. I often fly around the USS New Jersey which is tied up on the Delaware River in Camden NJ. They certainly are good subjects to film and photograph.
Hey kool! Would love to see your video of her! I ran across this shot where they were launching drones off her deck in the 50's