DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flight radar 24 app

iamcostas

Reactions
It is interesting this app... ?
Just to know what is flying above my head ...
"Hello there! Could you see me ? "
Big difference flying between 300 feet and 30000 feet ?Screenshot_2021-01-10-12-14-33-28.jpgScreenshot_2021-01-10-12-07-22-49_8a6ce7ef6b1c5341b022b20d7fbb4b6e.jpg

I've had this app on my phone for years and seen some interesting behavior from some different flights. I have watched a plane out my bedroom window in a holding pattern because of weather, a couple of privately owned fighter jets doing training with the military. Recently we had 3 twin boom airplanes making loops around the city for hours. This happened multiple times over a month. And another trend I have seen is private jets flying at lower altitudes and circling areas a couple of times presumably looking at land to buy (Purely speculation on my part).

Planes I'm interested in, those flying over my house seemingly lower than 500ft, don't show up in FR24.
As is explained every time this topic comes up, the app can only show planes that have ADS-B out.
And many planes don't, particularly small private aircraft, which are the aircraft most likely to be at altitudes shared with drones.

In the USA, FAA only require ADS-B Out capability in the continental United States, in the ADS-B rule airspace designated by FAR 91.225:
  • Class A, B, and C airspace;
  • Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
  • Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
  • Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
  • Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.

It's controlled airspace over here, but only class D. FR24 doesn't acknowledge the airport's existence because it doesn't have the code given for airports with regularly scheduled flights. FlightAware acknowledges it though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots