DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Florida man who shot down sheriff’s drone is facing serious jail time.

Obviously, his mind set isn't to obey the law. He knows he's not allowed to possess firearms/ammunition...didn't stop him. What's another crime? Heck, I'll shoot down a drone.

Yeah...but shooting down the drone was nothing compared to his 29 prior felonies ...and there are other charges ...a guy like that does better in jail than out in society
If he was charged with shooting the drone alone he would have gotten slap in the hand and walked away. It all comes to his criminal history from the past

Reactions: GFields
there are a lot of faults with the three strikes law but in this case ...

Idiot probably didn't know it was a police operated drone. Amazing how many prior felonies he has.

Sometimes, one gets what one deserves.

Reactions: AZDave
Thirty years.
That’s how long 51-year-old Wendell Doyle Goney could spend in federal prison if he’s proven guilty.

"Goney also admitted to the deputies that he could not lawfully possess a firearm – he has 29 prior felony convictions in Florida. As a convicted felon, Goney is prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition under federal law."

If he was charged with shooting the drone alone he would have gotten slap in the hand and walked away. It all comes to his criminal history from the past
Now I live in the United Kingdom and it appears that the rules governing flying/owning drones in The USA are similar to those in the UK, VLOS, 400 feet, NFZ's around Airports and Geofenced areas, Flying over crowds, more lenient rules on drone under the 250g category.

Most drones are registered (Provided you are flying legally) with either the FAA (USA) or CAA (UK) so they are registered/licenced flying vehicles, albeit unmanned.
Surely if you were to shoot down or intentionally cause a maned privately owned aircraft to crash would that not be tantamount to sabotage? If that was to cause the death of the pilot, passengers and or someone on the ground, would that not be tantamount to terrorism?
If it was a commercial passenger plane I think that would apply.

Now someone said about this idiot that shot down the Sheriff's drone, that if it had been his only offence he would likely to have received a slapped wrist, (Now I appreciate that this term means a light-ish punishment) but the implications of shooting down a drone whether small or large could be immense, it could go through the windscreen of a vehicle, say a large truck on a motorway (I road) and start a chain of of disasters one after another.
Maybe I am letting my mind run away with me.
Shoot him, LOL

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Now I live in the United Kingdom and it appears that the rules governing flying/owning drones in The USA are similar to those in the UK, VLOS, 400 feet, NFZ's around Airports and Geofenced areas, Flying over crowds, more lenient rules on drone under the 250g category.

Most drones are registered (Provided you are flying legally) with either the FAA (USA) or CAA (UK) so they are registered/licenced flying vehicles, albeit unmanned.
Surely if you were to shoot down or intentionally cause a maned privately owned aircraft to crash would that not be tantamount to sabotage? If that was to cause the death of the pilot, passengers and or someone on the ground, would that not be tantamount to terrorism?
If it was a commercial passenger plane I think that would apply.

Now someone said about this idiot that shot down the Sheriff's drone, that if it had been his only offence he would likely to have received a slapped wrist, (Now I appreciate that this term means a light-ish punishment) but the implications of shooting down a drone whether small or large could be immense, it could go through the windscreen of a vehicle, say a large truck on a motorway (I road) and start a chain of of disasters one after another.
Maybe I am letting my mind run away with me.
Shoot him, LOL

It is a federal crime to shoot the UAV as it is considered a airplane by the FAA. The problem is most federal prosecutors and judges to date do not want any part with dealing with such crimes. Most would rather have it dealt with as a civil action crime. If that happens then most will get the slap on the hand sentence sadly

When the title of a comment tread begins with "Florida Man ..."

Brian

Why do people shoot drones knowing its against the law to do so?

Maybe they don’t know.
Hmm.. Come to think of it i think your right about that. There are people who do stuff thats insane they dont know its against the law but what they dont know is that they impacted thier life forever.

Hmm.. Come to think of it i think your right about that. There are people who do stuff thats insane they dont know its against the law but what they dont know is that they impacted thier life forever.
Maybe to a drone pilot, it may appear insane, but before I found this website, I never knew it was illegal to shoot at drones, especially if flying over your property. You must remember that the only time people usually see drones are in movies and they're usually used for spying. Therefore, that's what they assume is happening, and considering there's no one in the drone, why not shoot it down? Also, a lot of people don't know that the airspace above their property isn't theirs (technically). So, they figure they should be allowed to control who's able to fly their drone over it.

Reactions: Blacksheep Pilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan