DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Florida man who shot down sheriff’s drone is facing serious jail time.

Maybe to a drone pilot, it may appear insane, but before I found this website, I never knew it was illegal to shoot at drones, especially if flying over your property. You must remember that the only time people usually see drones are in movies and they're usually used for spying. Therefore, that's what they assume is happening, and considering there's no one in the drone, why not shoot it down? Also, a lot of people don't know that the airspace above their property isn't theirs (technically). So, they figure they should be allowed to control who's able to fly their drone over it.
You just spoke my entire mind. 1 month ago, I didn't own a drone. A drone flying over my yard and hovering, was as much a target as any other nuisance bird with wings and feathers. I grew up in the country, where we hunted any critter we wanted to shoot. All my neighbors had rifles hanging in the back windows of their pickup truck. It was the norm.

Only Deer had protection because we needed a hunting license for them and could only shoot them in season.

So a drone hovering over my yard, in my mind 1 month ago, was not on any protected species list.

Now I'm looking to buy my 3rd drone, watching tons of quad copter vids on youtube, and falling in love with this hobby. And I only this last 7-day period, learned the FAA owns all the USA airspace.

Today, I would not shoot down a strange drone. Today I would wave at it with a smile on my face.

1 month ago, you would be trespassing when you came to retrieve the blasted parts of the drone splattered all over my yard.

Even today, I did not know it was illegal to shoot a drone hovering over my property.

Mentalities change and grow. Sometimes for the better. Maybe you guys can help educate me more for the better. Only the future knows.

Today, I would not shoot down a strange drone. Today I would wave at it with a smile on my face.
When i fly my drone around, i get two reactions from people.
1. They get agitated and hand signel profane sign language toward it, which makes me feel bad. or as a 16 year old, scared if the person is one of those people who are big and strong... yikes..

2. they wave at it. That makes me feel happy. mostly exited. so i take the roll stick and jerk it left to right to wave back. I wish people wouldn't take the apperance of a drone the wrong way. But it makes me absolutely happy that your one of those people who wave at drones.

What image of drones is the mainstream media shoving down the throats of uneducated viewers?

While we on the forum could probably name 100 great uses for drones, the general public is being trained to see them only in a negative light.

I can walk along a beach and stare at all the girls in bikinis, and it's expected and normal. Girls actually want to be admired.

But if I look at the same girl on the same beach through the camera of my drone, I'm now invading her privacy, and she is taught by TV to be offended?

Technically, in the USA, you cannot have a expectation of privacy if you willingly go out into a public place. But mainstream media videos are too frequently teaching the public, if a drone is near you, your privacy is being invaded and you should be offended, and react in the way of ...

When I see a drone nearby, what should I think and feel? I have a gun, I'm annoyed, my privacy is being invaded, drones are only bad, and there are no laws or cops to protect me.... Bang.

Yes, there are a few people that should not be allowed to own or fly a drone.

When the actions of a few immature people are the majority of behaviors published, a common and normal perception is being created. It's called marketing and advertising. Whether done intentionally or unknowingly does not change the result.

Drones can be used for good 98% of the time, but when the bad 2% gets 95% of the medias attention, a false perception has been created. And that perception gains the power to alter laws, rules, regulations that will affect the 98% of good users.

If we sit here and blame the bad 2% of users, we are powerless to protect our drone rights.

If we sit here and blame the sensationalism of media, we are powerless to protect our drone rights.

If I don't protect my... then I should expect to lose it, because no one else will...

If we blame ourselves, then we are free to ask ourselves, what have I failed to do to protect my drone rights. What more can I do?
When we ask that question, then we can find solutions that empower us.

I have failed to start a hobbyist drone rights protection association. If I started a drone protection association, and got 100,000 members to donate $20 each, then I/we could publicize/advertise the 98% of good drone uses to the public and remove their negative fear. Advertising is very expensive. Low-budget advertising is very ineffective.

There is a meat association that intentionally sways public opinion of meat.
1637336659242.png
They diligently protect the perception of their industry with advertising.

How about milk and eggs?
1637336819473.png

And guns...

1637336876349.png
Which is the larger killer, guns or drones? Which has more lobbyists and commercials protecting it? Which adds more value to our society?

And of course our beloved Drones Rights Association...

1637336966309.png

Wait, there is none! Oh no. We're in trouble. :eek:

No one is advertising to the general public on behalf of drone hobbyist rights. So we have no protection.

Whose fault is that?
Is that the fault of media that portrays drones as privacy invaders and nuisances? Or is that our fault?

Now granted I'm a newbie and don't know much yet, but the closet I have found is Vic Moss
1637337353468.png

Home - Drone Service Providers Alliance

"The Drone Service Providers Alliance provides a voice to those who fly drones for a living. Whether a small, medium, or large sized business, you need a group advocating for you. We fill that need by amplifying your voice to the FAA, to Congress, to state and local governments, and to international standards bodies. We effect change by working with these organizations to ensure that your voice is taken into consideration when they make decisions that impact your livelihood."

So people that earn their living with drones have an association to help protect their rights. But any association is only as powerful as their marketing budget, and cleverness of their marketing development directors. In other words, do they get enough dues or donations.

I don't make any money from flying. If I did, I would donate in a heart beat.

I would prefer to donate to a drone hobbyist rights protection association. But apparently that does not exist.
That is clearly my fault and for that I apologize.

I have failed to start a hobbyist drone rights protection association. I should not expect my right to fly drones in the future to continue to exist.

If you guys know of one that I'm not aware of, please let me know. I have a $100 waiting to be donated. Because I believe, if I don't invest into protecting my drone fly rights, then I should expect them to fade away as the media must sensationalize something, or they will go out of business. It's unfortunate, but it's true, the one who makes the most noise, gets the most attention.

The media picks on the weakest kid on the block. And today that's us.
If we continue being the weakest kid on the block, then we should expect to be robbed by the law of nature that says survival of the fittest.

Is there someone within this community that has that special talent and drive to start a Hobbyist Drone Rights Association?

Or can the DSP expand to cover us to? If so, I'm ready to donate.

I'm afraid it's true. Drones are being shot out of the sky. But gun owners are not the culprit.

I propose that those of us that do nothing to protect our rights, we are the biggest culprit. We are to blame.

Is it time we take responsibility and do something about it? Or 10 years from now, do we see ourselves sitting on our porch reminiscing about the good ole days when we used to be able to fly drones for fun?

I invite you to agree with me.
I invite you to disagree with me.
As Dirkclod says, just be nice about it.

I implore you, please start a hobbyist drone rights organization.

I apologize most sincerely, I am not that guy to start or run that association. However I pray, I have sparked its future existence.

Most sincerely.
The newbie.

Last edited:

What image of drones is the mainstream media shoving down the throats of uneducated viewers?

While we on the forum could probably name 100 great uses for drones, the general public is being trained to see them only in a negative light.

I can walk along a beach and stare at all the girls in bikinis, and it's expected and normal. Girls actually want to be admired.

But if I look at the same girl on the same beach through the camera of my drone, I'm now invading her privacy, and she is taught by TV to be offended?

Technically, in the USA, you cannot have a expectation of privacy if you willingly go out into a public place. But mainstream media videos are too frequently teaching the public, if a drone is near you, your privacy is being invaded and you should be offended, and react in the way of ...

When I see a drone nearby, what should I think and feel? I have a gun, I'm annoyed, my privacy is being invaded, drones are only bad, and there are no laws or cops to protect me.... Bang.

Yes, there are a few people that should not be allowed to own or fly a drone.

When the actions of a few immature people are the majority of behaviors published, a common and normal perception is being created. It's called marketing and advertising. Whether done intentionally or unknowingly does not change the result.

Drones can be used for good 98% of the time, but when the bad 2% gets 95% of the medias attention, a false perception has been created. And that perception gains the power to alter laws, rules, regulations that will affect the 98% of good users.

If we sit here and blame the bad 2% of users, we are powerless to protect our drone rights.

If we sit here and blame the sensationalism of media, we are powerless to protect our drone rights.

If I don't protect my... then I should expect to lose it, because no one else will...

If we blame ourselves, then we are free to ask ourselves, what have I failed to do to protect my drone rights. What more can I do?
When we ask that question, then we can find solutions that empower us.

I have failed to start a hobbyist drone rights protection association. If I started a drone protection association, and got 100,000 members to donate $20 each, then I/we could publicize/advertise the 98% of good drone uses to the public and remove their negative fear. Advertising is very expensive. Low-budget advertising is very ineffective.

There is a meat association that intentionally sways public opinion of meat.
View attachment 138662
They diligently protect the perception of their industry with advertising.

How about milk and eggs?
View attachment 138663

And guns...

View attachment 138664
Which is the larger killer, guns or drones? Which has more lobbyists and commercials protecting it? Which adds more value to our society?

And of course our beloved Drones Rights Association...

View attachment 138665

Wait, there is none! Oh no. We're in trouble. :eek:

No one is advertising to the general public on behalf of drone hobbyist rights. So we have no protection.

Whose fault is that?
Is that the fault of media that portrays drones as privacy invaders and nuisances? Or is that our fault?

Now granted I'm a newbie and don't know much yet, but the closet I have found is Vic Moss
View attachment 138666

Home - Drone Service Providers Alliance

"The Drone Service Providers Alliance provides a voice to those who fly drones for a living. Whether a small, medium, or large sized business, you need a group advocating for you. We fill that need by amplifying your voice to the FAA, to Congress, to state and local governments, and to international standards bodies. We effect change by working with these organizations to ensure that your voice is taken into consideration when they make decisions that impact your livelihood."

So people that earn their living with drones have an association to help protect their rights. But any association is only as powerful as their marketing budget, and cleverness of their marketing development directors. In other words, do they get enough dues or donations.

I don't make any money from flying. If I did, I would donate in a heart beat.

I would prefer to donate to a drone hobbyist rights protection association. But apparently that does not exist.
That is clearly my fault and for that I apologize.

I have failed to start a hobbyist drone rights protection association. I should not expect my right to fly drones in the future to continue to exist.

If you guys know of one that I'm not aware of, please let me know. I have a $100 waiting to be donated. Because I believe, if I don't invest into protecting my drone fly rights, then I should expect them to fade away as the media must sensationalize something, or they will go out of business. It's unfortunate, but it's true, the one who makes the most noise, gets the most attention.

The media picks on the weakest kid on the block. And today that's us.
If we continue being the weakest kid on the block, then we should expect to be robbed by the law of nature that says survival of the fittest.

Is there someone within this community that has that special talent and drive to start a Hobbyist Drone Rights Association?

Or can the DSP expand to cover us to? If so, I'm ready to donate.

I'm afraid it's true. Drones are being shot out of the sky. But gun owners are not the culprit.

I propose that those of us that do nothing to protect our rights, we are the biggest culprit. We are to blame.

Is it time we take responsibility and do something about it? Or 10 years from now, do we see ourselves sitting on our porch reminiscing about the good ole days when we used to be able to fly drones for fun?

I invite you to agree with me.
I invite you to disagree with me.
As Dirkclod says, just be nice about it.

I implore you, please start a hobbyist drone rights organization.

I apologize most sincerely, I am not that guy to start or run that association. However I pray, I have sparked its future existence.

Most sincerely.
The newbie.
It seems we tend to judge any group of people by at least favorable members

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+